Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How to see jupiter better

Hello Astromaster130

A couple of tips to help with Jupiter....

1. Make sure your scope is fully cooled down.

2. Make sure your scope is well collimated.

3. Try observing at dusk.

4. Try a Baader Neodymium filter.

Good luck.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for starting this post, I've also just started getting in to stargazing and took my 1st photos (last night) and they're not the best, therefore thanks agian this post was very helpful.

Hello Astromaster130

A couple of tips to help with Jupiter....

1. Make sure your scope is fully cooled down.

2. Make sure your scope is well collimated.

3. Try observing at dusk.

4. Try a Baader Neodymium filter.

Good luck.

Yep, really useful thread as a beginner, Jupiter is so easy to spot in the sky it's a nice target and I did wonder why I could only see three of the moons (I'd seen 4 a few nights earlier just using a 300mm lens on a camera).

I did struggle with brightness when looking at it a few nights ago so will take a look at the Baader filter suggested by Astromaster130. Do the filters just screw on to the eyepiece? I have a Baader Hyperion 21mm eyepiece. 

Thanks, J

I have the astromaster 130 still using supplied ep's.

I found the view also improves as you spend more time in the dark. (Dark adaptation)

I have also upgraded the mount which helps. The more steady you can get your mount the better to avoid shake

I have the astromaster 130 still using supplied ep's.

I found the view also improves as you spend more time in the dark. (Dark adaptation)

I have also upgraded the mount which helps. The more steady you can get your mount the better to avoid shake

Hey, what mount have you upgraded to?

Im considering upgrading my mount and even get a goto mount if possible.[emoji93]

Astromaster130

Ive just been watching Jupiter in my 114eq powerseeker and i would say looked more like a pea than a lentil and could clearly see its stripes and 3 moons.

Stock 3x barlow and 4mm lense.

Hope this helps?

Ive just been watching Jupiter in my 114eq powerseeker and i would say looked more like a pea than a lentil and could clearly see its stripes and 3 moons.

Stock 3x barlow and 4mm lense.

Hope this helps?

Is that the 900mm focal length Powerseeker 114 EQ ?

With the 3x barlow and 4mm eyepiece thats 675x !!!!

You were doing well to see any detail on Jupiter at that power - my 12" dobsonian was finding 200x - 265x gave the best views tonight.

Hi John. Yes it is the 900mm.

Reasonably dark sky here in Chudleigh, Devon. Im on a holiday park deep in the sticks.

Tried to get a photo holding my galaxy note3 above the lense but no luck without a bracket of some kind?

I certainly felt lucky John :)

P.s. the wife and son loved it too.

I'm not far from you and the seeing was quite good at times here. With my 12" scope 200x - 265x is the best to see Jupiter crisply and with good feature contrast. I usually use 150-200x with my smaller aperture 120mm refractor. Jupiter does not seem to benefit from higher power than that unlike the Moon, Saturn and Mars.

Jupiter was incredible last night. I picked it up just as Io was ending its transit, and its shadow was clearly visible between the main bands. At the best moemnets of 'seeing' the GRS was very clear almost dead centre, you could even see a white wisp between it and the belt. I could also see the lesser belts. Must have spent the best part of an hour just watching it except for running in to check if the moons/GRS were where I thought I could see them (I check after looking so that I don't convince myself I can see something just because I'm looking in the right place...)

I have ordered a hackable webscam off ebay...

Eventually got darker and I started looking for M42, first time to see it and only saw it for a few minutes before it went behind a tree. I now know what the 'trapezium' is.

My scope is a Skywatcjher 150PL (150mm reflector) but even with a cheap 76mm refracrtor I could see teh main ands on Jupiter.

Neil

I managed to get my best pic yet, (Says a lot about how poor my others were though, this is still quite fuzzy!!) Lucky to get anything at all as my tablet went flying across the patio, fortunately it survived.

post-42652-0-56727800-1428395079.png

Yes that's what I used, webcam, processed through PIPP then Registax. No real idea what I"m doing with processing, but chose planets options in PIPP and cropped and centred, then ran through Registax using the defaults. I guess I might get it better with a motor drive, I was just turning the slow motion control to keep it as still as possible on the screen, not sure if I would have been better to let it drift though?? I think it was 4 x  30 second bursts. (Joined into one in PIPP)

Really interesting thread! This is exactly what I've been focusing on these last couple of weeks.

Awesome picture DeanSL! I was trying last night too though I must have been suffering from bad seeing as didn't get very good images.

Was using a Skywatcher 150P without tracking, at times a 2x Barlow and celestron moon filter.

Can I ask, what is PIPP?

Really interesting thread! This is exactly what I've been focusing on these last couple of weeks.

Awesome picture DeanSL! I was trying last night too though I must have been suffering from bad seeing as didn't get very good images.

Was using a Skywatcher 150P without tracking, at times a 2x Barlow and celestron moon filter.

Can I ask, what is PIPP?

PIPP Is a program that you can use to combine videos, centre the planet, and crop. (Which is what I use it for). It probably does lots of other stuff too! It then outputs a video ready to be used by Registax

Wow, I totally feel like a noob reading all this. I just saw jupiters belts for the first time tonight. I got all excited about "seeing colors". I wonder what I'll see tomorrow. :)

Archived