SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

new binocular help

hello, I am a beginner at astronomy( but a pro at cosmology ).

I got my first pair of celestron upclose 10x50 binos! :p

anyways, the question is that what objects can you see in it in a light polluted city.(perth)

thx and clear skies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You might like to get the book "Collins Gem Guide to the Stars", and work your way through the constellations as time permits. A planisphere will help plan your sessions. Note I do not speak about smart phone apps, etc; I prefer batteryless things. Batteries tend to die in cold conditions...  Next after that might be a Nortons Star Atlas, or a Cambridge atlas of the Stars, and look for those objects listed therein. Once you have done that you will have a pretty good knowledge of the sky!!

Regards, and good luck,  James Albinson, Keele Observatory Support Group

You can easily see the moon & stars in the night sky.

Also, you can spot certain planets in a city with light pollution, using software such as Stellarium.

On land,

My favorite thing to do with binoculars is to just look at what people are doing in downtown by zooming, and also you can see birds in nests which is pretty neat.

Hope this helped a bit.  :laugh:  :laugh:

[quote name="iLoveSpace" post="2595172" timestamp="1426572619

On land,

My favorite thing to do with binoculars is to just look at what people are doing in downtown by zooming

:

Bit voyeuristic and a little creepy isn't it ?

Archived