Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher Dobsonian 6 / 8 / 10

Greetings,

I am reading this forum from few months, and this is my first post in this community. I want to buy telescope, but I want some opinions about the size.

I want to observe the planets/stars like jupiter, saturn, and likewise as much clear as possible. The only choices in my local area for purchasing telescope is skywatcher dobsonian 6" 8" 10" 12". (6,8,10 is under my budget)

Can any one please show me or give links where I can see the difference between the image results taken by these telescopes?

and should I buy EYEPIECE? how much difference they put in the result for view.

Thank you and hav a nice day ! :)

I've got an 8" Skywatcher Dobs and I love it! A lot of aperture, but still easily portable. If I was going to go bigger I'd get the 12" as the focal length on the 10 is the same as the 8.

The standard eyepieces that come with them are OK, but I've also got a 30mm one as well that I like and a GSO 2" 2x Barlow as well.

The moon, Saturn, Jupiter and Nebulae show up very well, haven' t really tried deep-space stuff like galaxies yet but the guy I bought it off said he's done some excellent observing of these with it.

All the more experienced scope users that I've spoken to have said the 8" is an excellent choice, with many saying that they'd later bought far more expensive scopes, but kept their 8" Dobsonian because it was so good to use.

Hope this helps. Happy viewing and clear skies!

TBH for planets the 8" is all you'll ever need. Planets will show about as much detail in an 8" scope as anything else, as atmospheric seeing comes in at this point, dictating the level of detail that can be seen.

Bigger scopes are more for deep sky work.

How are you looking at the sky now? And what do you enjoy looking at?

I am still a novice and really expected to enjoy hunting down Galaxies and Nebulae, but am seriously enjoying double star hunting - so researching a refractor as my next purchase

If I had the money, the dark skies to use it and an interest in faint fuzzies then 10" would no doubt be my aspiration - swaying to smaller sizes if I have to carry it a long way or there was a big price difference (in UK there is, 8" to 10" is 50% price hike - how about you?)

WRT eyepieces, if you don't wear glasses to observe then some branded Plossls would be a good start - I have Revelation/GSO and Skywatcher and they are both nice (and not pricey) - if you get hooked then expect your eyepiece collection to cost more than your telescope, that's where I am heading already . . . :)

Many thanks for the replies guys,

Yes I wear Glasses (very weak eyeside, -7 power :Envy: ) , what impact it would be on visual with telescope ? amd what is barlow?

In my area prices for skywatcher dobsonian manual telescopes (new) are as follows.

6" =  450 $ avg

8" =  650$  avg

10" = 850$ avg

I could buy from online stores in much cheaper prices as well, BUT the shipping would cost more then the scope price :eek:

i expect to see various planets, and porbably some galaxies as well. Also I would like to shot them with camera, will my normal camera like Gaalxy S3, or cannon powershot a80 will be enough ? or do I have to go with some dedicated stuff?

One more question , I can see that there is huge difference in pricing of manual vs GOTO versions. What benefits I can get with manual opr GOTO versioin? what is recommended for beginning the journey ?

I've got an 8" Skywatcher Dobs and I love it! A lot of aperture, but still easily portable. If I was going to go bigger I'd get the 12" as the focal length on the 10 is the same as the 8.

The standard eyepieces that come with them are OK, but I've also got a 30mm one as well that I like and a GSO 2" 2x Barlow as well.

The moon, Saturn, Jupiter and Nebulae show up very well, haven' t really tried deep-space stuff like galaxies yet but the guy I bought it off said he's done some excellent observing of these with it.

All the more experienced scope users that I've spoken to have said the 8" is an excellent choice, with many saying that they'd later bought far more expensive scopes, but kept their 8" Dobsonian because it was so good to use.

Hope this helps. Happy viewing and clear skies!

P.S., this picture of the moon is a composite of about 5 images taken through my scope using a 3 Megapixel camera attached to it (click to zoom in)

http://chaos.neonblade.com/downloads/Scope/stitch2Cropped.jpg

That's a great shot of the moon, are you able to get shots of the other planets with your 8" Dob?

TBH for planets the 8" is all you'll ever need. Planets will show about as much detail in an 8" scope as anything else, as atmospheric seeing comes in at this point, dictating the level of detail that can be seen.

Bigger scopes are more for deep sky work.

Neonblade's post above says that the 8" & 10" have the same focal lengths so does that mean they are very similar in what you can see, or is that just for planets, and DSO's look considerably better in a 10"?

Thanks

I really want to be able to see planets like Jupiter , Moons, Saturn and rings, but not just see a white sphere, I'd like to see the surface color. Suggestions required please.

• 2 weeks later...

After LOT of searching, I managed to purchase "COLLAPSIBLE TRUSS-TUBE DOBSONIAN 10" Telescope" from a local vendor.
http://ca.skywatcher.com/_english/01_products/02_detail.php?sid=351

The jupiter image was taken with 6mm with 2x barlow , & camera is cannon 1200d (later I exchanged it with 600d) using AFOCAL method. I took video jupiter (with shaky hands) then converted the .mov to avi using PIPP, then I used IRIS to produce stacked image. done just very basic level of modification nothing fancy as I am just a beginner at a moment and took instructions for IRIS manual and from a friend online :)

Moon pic was taken with simple PRIME focus method, removed camera lens, and attached it directly to the focuser with TRING :) and posted without any editing to the image :)

• 2 weeks later...

Very good results Syed.

Are you in a light polluted area?

yes I am from Karachi/Pakistan which is quite a polluted city. Unable to find any dark site here where I can take my heavy 10" dob, movement is difficult here , tall walls all around my location , I dont have roof, the only sky visible from my portion is is 6x6 (6feet in width only) so all of my pics and stuff is when the things are on zenith side, right above my head :) so its quite hard to catch things , very limited options for me :( Sometimes I feel I am a bird trapped in a cage and wanted to fly with my telescope :D

:)

Archived