Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New positions too uncomfortable

I feel a bit stupid bit must have looked ridiculous. I have had 2 frustrating sessions struggling to use my finder scope which always seemed to locate itself in the most inaccessible position on the scope for whatever I was trying to find. Finally, finally just as the clouds were rolling in .... try turning the telescope in its rings so that the finderscope and EP are comfortably accessible. Aha!!! Ya live and learn :lol:

Martin

Amazing how daft you feel when you figure something out that in hindsight seems so simple! Glad you sorted it.

Normally if you a spending the evening viewing in the East then you only have to do this rotation once... but I always seem to decide to swing the scope in the other direction and seem to spend the entire night rotating the scope :lol:

Ant

OH, thank goodness! This is about telescopes. :lol:

I find when I do this, I have to be careful not to let the scope slip up or down, and become unbalanced. When I'm observing, I want to be the only unbalanced thing around. :lol:

Yes. I was thinking about a nylon strip clamped above the top ring of your newt...

Arthur

I keep thinking about fitting a second shoe on the other side of the focuser for just such occasions!!

Now thats a good idea!!!

Well, that's two I've had this year!! That's my quota fulfilled :lol: :lol:

I've also been thinking about the tube moving when rotating. What have you in mind Arthur?

OH, thank goodness! This is about telescopes. :lol:

I find when I do this, I have to be careful not to let the scope slip up or down, and become unbalanced. When I'm observing, I want to be the only unbalanced thing around. :lol:

Yes. I was thinking about a nylon strip clamped above the top ring of your newt...

Arthur

Well, OK. If you like that sort of thing.

I bet there is someone, somewhere flogging telescope viewing steps with red light illumination and a little holder for eye pieces for little more than £200 :lol: On the other hand a box might do for now.

Martin

Like that nylon strap idea Arthur

I seem to be rotating the tube on several occasions, I didn't think this was a wise thing to do at first, but seeing as though most of you do it, then I can relax a little. Also WH, you mentioned balancing, which I have done from the very beginning, I did wonder why this was a neccessity, but one night I didn't (shock horror) I Took both locks off to adjust position, I loosed the tube, and well, you can guess the rest. Luckily I caught the tube in time. So the moral of the story is.... need I say more.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You can get a little kitchen step stool very cheap. They usually have two steps and a seat. Just the thing for a scope like yours.

Last year, at the star party I went to, I got to spend quite a bit of time looking through a 17.5" dob. Had to stand on an 8' step ladder...

• 1 month later...

If you get another tube ring and clamp that around the tube, just above your dovetailed top tube ring, when you undo your dovetailed tube rings to rotate your tube the one clamped only around your tube stops it sliding down but allows you to rotate the tube into a new position safely.

Alan :laugh:

• 1 month later...

If you get another tube ring and clamp that around the tube, just above your dovetailed top tube ring, when you undo your dovetailed tube rings to rotate your tube the one clamped only around your tube stops it sliding down but allows you to rotate the tube into a new position safely.

Alan :lol:

Is that then called the ring of confidence Al?

I desperately need a box to stand on, reaching the ep when I'm looking directly up, is a tip-toes job, then cramp sets in.....god I'm an old fart....

Caz,

Try and get hold of one of those plastic milk crates or pop bottle crates...Just the right height and you can leave it outside.

I desperately need a box to stand on, reaching the ep when I'm looking directly up, is a tip-toes job, then cramp sets in.....god I'm an old fart....

Caz,

Try and get hold of one of those plastic milk crates or pop bottle crates...Just the right height and you can leave it outside.

Also, you can use the milk crate to carry stuff to your observing site, if it's away.

Archived