SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

At last a break in the clouds

Beyond_Vision

At last a break in the clouds. Once I had managed to get everything up and running it was very late and decided to have a quick go at M81 and 82 and managed to bag a few more objects in the frame which includes an object I couldnt identify.

Taken With : Canon 400D fitted to a Antares 80mm Fluorite APO with 0.8x focal reducer and Astronomik CLS clip filter.

Guided by : Bresser R102 and Meade DSI-C CCD using Shoestring Guider and PHD software.

Mount: Orion Sirius EQG

Image Data: 6x10mins , Darks, Bias and flats

Processed with: Stacked and ASin curves level & saturation applied in DSS, final tweak in PSCS with Noels Actions.

4865_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Heres an annotated version with one object ringed in yellow which I couldnt identify it looks like an edge on galaxy.

4866_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Regards

Kevin

Great image Kevin! :rolleyes: It shows just how big M81 is compared to M82, in the eyepiece they always appear quite a long way from each other but you've captured just how far M81 extents. And all of those other galaxies - what a busy part of the sky! awesome stuff!

Sam

Excellent image Kevin,really shows how much there is up there,even in a relatively "empty" area of the sky.

As for the mystery galaxy,i zoomed in using Starry night pro 5 using NGC and PGC lists and could find nothing.

There is a triangle of stars to the above right of mystery object,the nearest at about

1 o'clock is TYC4383-1293-1(i think).I zoomed in and looked around the area and nothing is showing up.

Steve(steppenwolf) would be the man to see regarding this one i think.

Ok, this is what I found so far.

The top image is a crop from Kevin's photo, and the bottom two are screen-shots from Google earth, only labeled. It clearly shows the "mystery object" as a galaxy.I think it may be a nearly-edge-on galaxy. (something like Sombrero in Virgo). According to D.Locke (http://www.dl-digital.com/astrophoto/P2-Astro/M81-M8-chart.htm) the galaxy is UGC 521. Although this is the only reference I could find.

Marius

Archived