Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Where have all the Essex boys gone ?

knobby

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still here mate, just was struggling with new baby and sleep pattern. She is now sleeping almost all night through so will be back into astronomy fairly soon :)

So when she wasn't sleeping all night long you were up all night. :eek:

Now she is sleeping you are still going to be up all night. :rolleyes:

Seems either option is no sleep. :grin: :grin:

Hi Cloud Dodgers :smiley:

Two invites.  

Weather permitting, some members of Castle Point AC will be outside the Civic Centre, Victoria Ave Southend for the Solar eclipse, 8.20 - 10.40 am Friday 20th March, with white light and Ha  solar scopes.

And on Saturday 28th March starting at 1900 hrs, there's our public event at Hadleigh Country Park, at the southern end of Chapel Lane Hadleigh, near the replica Iron Age hut. ( Not at Hadleigh Castle ! )

All more than welcome, Ed.

Hey hey hey!!!

How's it going everyone - been a bad boy and neglecting my astronomy recently, but been a very busy year so hopefully I can be excused... BUT, and I like big buts, I am making an effort this year, a big effort, to get out a lot more often and that means Dengie!! Hopefully we can get our little group going again.

Would love to hook up with Gary, Craig, Bamus and friends again and hopefully some new faces - so lets make it happen! I am subscribing to Dengie for another year so if everyone is willing then maybe we can get together once a month when the moon is new and the weather is fair so we can all meet up in a dark field in Essex and check out each others equipment!!

Seriously though, the bug is slowly coming back, its sometimes good to have a bit of a break in a hobby, and I intend to get out a lot more often, maybe we could even pull a few all nighters - beers and a BBQ in Dengie? It would certainly be fun!

Anyway, I will be popping in a lot more as I slowly get back into the swing of things - and hello to all the new members I don't know! Chat soon xxx

I have been popping in occasionally but as more of a lurker than contributer - it will all change though - just a few more bits to sort out in Real-Life© and I'll probably be back on it soon after that! xx

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still here!

Been out in the garden mostly with a few MR trips to show some non astro folks around. Hoping to get out soon to try out my upgrade Video CCD but real life is always a distraction.

I may end up becoming a lone cloud dodger this year, we're planning on buying a place and it may not be in Essex. On the plus side part of the criteria is a dark area with a big garden :wink2: , I'll certainly look at holding some form of house warming star party though. 

I may end up becoming a lone cloud dodger this year, we're planning on buying a place and it may not be in Essex. On the plus side part of the criteria is a dark area with a big garden :wink2: , I'll certainly look at holding some form of house warming star party though. 

My mate recently moved out of Essex from your way into mid Suffolk. He has a nice long garden and very little light pollution. Essex is becoming a nightmare for LP.

John

Evening Essex brethren - for those in the know I today received another key for Area51 for the next 12 months. I am in the way of thinking that it should get more use this year!! I am looking at having a few all nighters out there - with permission I am thinking Telescopes, BBQ, beer until the sun comes up - any takers?

An astronomy evening combined with burning meat and ale. What's not to like? In.

I have absolutely no idea where Area51 is though and as such, consider myself not in the know.

Essex cloud dodgers go there, as do Castle Point Astronomy Club.   But you need to join them or us to go, because it's on private land, beyond a locked gate.

Only clue I can give - it's on the Dengie Peninsular, east of Burnham on Crouch / Southminster,  the least light polluted part of Essex, the eastern sky and overhead are good.

CPAC doesn't get there all that often, some of our club do imaging from home observatories, we have had  club camps in Suffolk, or Kelling Heath.

Regards to all, Ed.

This area51 sounds pretty awesome :)

It's not bad, and I'd like it if my backyard in Southend were as good. The eastern sky is excellent because that's the North Sea in that direction, and overhead is great.

With a 10" Dob, I've seen the two main dust lanes and NGC 206 in M31's spiral arms the companions M32 & M110 are easy, and the main spiral arms in M51, loads more.......

But it ain't perfect out there, you can see  light domes from Clacton  Southend and Burnham, plus floodlights from the Crossrail project on Wallasea Island. ( The spoil from London's Crossrail project is brought to Wallasea by barge, and the conveyor belt to bring it onshore is floodlit ).   Some of us had a friendly moan to the RSPB, but were told that in a few years the job would be finished.........and maybe they have tipped those floodlights down a bit.

But it's well worth the effort to get out there, Ed.

Can I join the party?  I was hoping to come along to Saturday's CPAC open evening and say hello but sadly the wind stopped play.  I am also trying to find an elusive dark spot on Dengie.

Sadly we had no choice and had to cancel last Saturday's event, 100% cloud cover. Next one is Nov 21st.

You would be most welcome at any of our weekly Wednesday meetings, with no obligation to join.

The members of Essex Cloud Dodgers that I've met have been very friendly, so take your pick !

Regards, Ed.

Archived