Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lawsuit against LHC

In today's International Herald Tribune (and probably other papers to) there's an artilcle about a bloke in Hawaii who has filed a lawsuit in a US Federal Court against the LHC opening. He is concerned that it might create a black hole that will swallow the Earth up. The folks at CERN are not too worried though.

I guess I'll see you all on the other side of the event horizon!!! :rolleyes::)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh brother. The level of ignorance in the US today should never be underestimated.

Political or not, I attribute it to our Republican party, who have been summarily degrading out educational system for decades.

I apologize, hereto, for my government and the effect it has had on anyone, worldwide.

:x

Of course there's a bunch of people who will read that article and agree with the lawsuit out of ignorance. It's not just the USA Astroman this problem is endemic across all of the Western democracies.

:rolleyes:

whereas the real scare is that the energy density might rip through the causality string-induced tension layer and we'll be catapulted into the past. Doctor Who starts tomorrow again... reverse the polarity!

Oh brother. The level of ignorance in the US today should never be underestimated.

Political or not, I attribute it to our Republican party, who have been summarily degrading out educational system for decades.

I apologize, hereto, for my government and the effect it has had on anyone, worldwide.

:x

It's just the same here mate. Well, perhaps not quite as bad but not far off. If we were as big as the US it would probably be as bad. I work in the education sector (just finished for two weeks battle rest today, hurraaah) and I could write a book about the failings of both parents and the system. In fact I'm not one for conspiracy theories but I wouldn't be suprised if the dumbing down is Gov led because a population who binge drink and worship at the alter of McD's and Colonel Sanders (thank you for those imports by the way...) are easily led. Keep them fat, keep them happy. Lets put it this way, when I left school in '73, five percent of the school population went on to Uni, now they want it to be fifty percent. So let's all look around at all the academically brilliant kids that are walking the street..........er...........

On the radio last night it said that 30% of americans think that because they have bought a HD ready TV that they are watching in HD all the time!

Ant

I wonder if there was a similar statistic when Colour TV was first brought in.... :(:D:shocked:

Having visited the US on several occasions I think part of their problem is that they aren't informed. About much at all. Unless they dig it out for themselves. If you sit in front of the news here, you have to watch all the world affairs stuff, then national affairs, then you go regional. So the stuff is presented to you anyhow. My impression of US news is 'In Israel today some guys with beards exploded a bomb, now let's have a 30 minute look at a car chase that took place on he local highway before returning you to Phil Silvers'. I'll never forget being in the States during the OJ Simpson trial, I was in a bar talking to a guy about it. I was wondering how long he would get, the guy looked at me amazed and said 'You don't think that any jury is going to convict a national sporting hero do you?' He was quite right of course.

It's only two days until I visit CERN and get a look at the LHC - woohoo! I could ask the physicists if they're actually worried, either by the possibility of black hole creation or having their experiments halted by a couple of fringe scientists with too much time on their hands.

I suspect that neither of these things will be keeping them awake at night!

It's only two days until I visit CERN and get a look at the LHC - woohoo! I could ask the physicists if they're actually worried, either by the possibility of black hole creation or having their experiments halted by a couple of fringe scientists with too much time on their hands.

I suspect that neither of these things will be keeping them awake at night!

The phrase 'You lucky, lucky git' springs to mind.. :(:D:shocked:

• 3 weeks later...

When the Americans tested the first atomic bomb, there were theories that it would ignite the atmosphere and destroy the earth - that didn't happen, but didn't stop the Americans from performing the Trinity Test "just in case".

Even if we get swallowed up by a black hole, who's gonna be around to complain about it?

• 2 months later...

As promised, here are a few of the photos I took on my visit to the open day at CERN in April.

The highlight was definitely the tour of the ATLAS site. ATLAS is one of the detectors that will participate in the hunt for the Higgs boson when the LHC starts up. It's 25m high, 46m long, weighs 7000 tonnes, and is installed in a man-made cavern 100m below the surface. I'm afraid my photos don't really do it justice - it's hard to convey the awesome scale! (Click to enlarge)

The cog-like structure below was one of the last components of ATLAS to be installed - it's one of two huge toroidal magnets that form the endcaps of the central "barrel" part of the experiment. To the left is one of two wheel-like muon detectors.

CERN_001_s.jpg

Above the detector is one of two huge vertical shafts that allowed the pieces of ATLAS to be lowered down into the cavern from the surface building.

CERN_002_s.jpg

Hopefully this photo will give some sense of scale! This is looking down from the walkway we were on, towards the "barrel" of ATLAS. On the lowest blue walkway you can see a metal railing, the same height as the one at the bottom of the picture.

CERN_064_s.jpg

Finally this is a photo from another building, where sections of the tube which makes up the 27km of the LHC ring are tested. This is one of the sections. Essentially it's a series of superconducting magnets, cooled to about -271oC by liquid helium which is pumped through the long pipes around the outside. The magnets surround the two innermost pipes which contain particle beams travelling in opposite directions.

CERN_032_s.jpg

There are some (much better!) photos of the construction of ATLAS on the ATLAS website.

It really was an amazing visit and I only wish I'd had time to see more of the sites. I'm looking forward to hearing that the Higgs boson has been found by the LHC and saying, "I was there!"

• 2 months later...

Archived