Hello!

Robsta

Hi everyone!

I've just signed up and thought I would say hello.

I bought my first telescope (Skywatcher Explorer 130M) at Christmas, and this forum was invaluble in helping me choose, so thank you for that.

I'm very much a newbie, slowly picking up the terminology and techniques. As well as observing, I also wanted the telescope to experiment with astrophotography, so something else I need to learn!

I have no garden so I'm restricted to observing through a bedroom window; I know this isn't ideal, but unfortunately its that or nothing at the moment. I'm lucky that I live in a maisonette on top of a hill, so we are higher than everything else around us.

The downside is our windows are quite high up, and having set the scope up I often found that when adusting it to my "targets", the eyepiece ended up in positions I just couldn't reach.

I may well just lurk in the background for a while, mainly because being new to this I don't really have much input to give, but I might ask the odd question now and again of thats OK.

Many thanks once agian,

Rob

Hi Rob and welcome to the lounge, Just two bits of advice, I assume you rotate the scope tube in it's rings to get a comfortable position for the eyepiece and a must do I think as you observe through a bedroom window, let your neighbour's know that you are into astronomy or they might get the wrong idea as to what you are up to and the boys in blue might come calling.

Hi Ian,

At the risk of sounding incredibly stupid, I never thought of rotating the scope :embarrassed: No, what I did instead was started adjusting it using the "pan and tilt" I used to set it up in the first place (sorry, I'm not sure of the correct terminolgy yet), which obviously had the knock-on effect of not being able to use the motor as it was no longer calibrated properly.

Regarding letting the neighbours know, I'ts not something I'd thought about but don't see it being a problem- we're a lot higher than everything else and with no other houses facing us (its not easy to explain), and becase of the height of our windows the scope is pitched up to such a degree that even if anyone could see it (which I don't think they can) it would be obvious it was pointing upwards.

Hi Rob and welcome to SGL, just a thought, as you are having to use a bedroom window, have you remembered to turn off any heating and let the room cool before observing, this may help to avoid interference from air turbulence, enjoy your astronomy :)

Archived