Stargazing from Lat. 65N

Taiga

Hi to all...   I'm happy to be a member of Stargazers Lounge.

I'm in Fairbanks, Alaska, where we get just 3.5 hours of sunshine in December and can't see a single star in June/July!

Winter skies are gorgeous to look at, but not conducive for telescoping. Between the natural sky glow from the aurora, and moonlight reflecting off the snow, it's a good night if I can see stars to mag. 4.5.

Also, the seeing is frequently terrible. like a 1.

About myself: I'm a professional photographer who was bitten by the astronomy bug when I was about 10 years old.

Now 40+ years older and wiser, my expectations are finally in line with my latitude.

I have a 10" F/5.6 Dob, and just inherited a C8 circa 1975.

Cheers!

Hi and welcome to SGL - While my geography is awful, thanks to Ice Road Truckers I have some idea of where you are. Boy it looks COLD up there, and I mean proper cold!!!

Look forward to seeing you around :)

Hi Taiga and welcome to SGL, I was under the impression that from those sort of latitudes you would have perfect skies with crystal clear air. Then I suppose, if you go into the wilds looking for some shady spot, you risk getting eaten by a Polar Bear. But like us in rainy old Uk, you can still enjoy your Astronomy :)

Archived