SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

longest gone without

algol

ok guys and gals, what is the longest you've gone without a night observing? due to weather conditions or personal commitments etc.

this question has two purposes one make me feel better about hardly geting out for a week or two, and two it will show the real nuts who say a day :rolleyes:

Just broke a 4 week stretch without observing due to weather but I beat that with a 5 week wait for first light after taking delivery of the Lightbridge. Which I suppose was my own fault. Dont annoy the weather Gods with a new scope.

During the summer it doesnt get dark up here for nearly two months. I cant wait. :rolleyes:

Approximately 10 and a half years between 1996 and 2006... :rolleyes:

I often get 4-5 week long spells without any observing for lots of reasons. It drives Kate mad as apparently after a good observing session (i.e. an allnighter) I'm a really nice guy to be around for as much as a week... seemingly I'm not when its cloudy... :?

James

It'll be around the 3 - 4 months - and that was after my first visit to Kelling Heath with Russ back in 2005.

The skies are so bad at home - and you sort of forget just how bad they are untill you go somewhere nice like Kelling / Keilder...

It would be clear and I'd stick my head out of the door look up and think, Nah Rubbish night won't bother... and then went on for ages.

When it's cloudy SGL becomes more of a handfull. :rolleyes:

Ant

:crybaby: 5 months.

I wasn't able to set up one of the big scopes from 29 Oct 2007 till 28 March 2008.

Actually, I was able to pop out onto the deck more than a dozen times during those 5 months for quick peeks with the grab'n'go scopes (80ST and 90mm ETX), but I don't really consider them good "observing sessions".

To me, a "good session" is when I can go deep-sky diving with the 120 achro, or do some intense lunar studies with the 8" SCT. Don't get me wrong.. the 80ST is fantastic for a quick star-hit, and the ETX gives very satisfactory lunar views, but I need more...

2 months. Terrible. This was when my set up and mind set was entirely geared up for imaging. Made me buy a dob and that has helped a lot. I can get out in clear patches of unsettled weather and have fun now.

Haven't used my scope for 5 months now. There is simply no point anymore as the council installed 3 new street lamps, which overlook my garden, i can actually read a book in my garden at night. It's to be expected i suppose, living in the concrete jungle that is London. I am planning on moving to somewhere in Hertfordshire by the end of the year, so i'll get back into it then! Astronomy in London is dead.

Excluding June and July every year because the skies are to bright to do any decent observing, it will be about 5 weeks,i think its a bit of swings and roundabouts where we always remember the really bad spells(like right now)but before xmas i had 8 consecutive nights where i was out for at least 3 hrs on each night and could have had longer.

There will be another good spell sometime,hopefully before we all go insane. :rolleyes: :violent1:

I'm an early riser so the 6 week period around the summer equinox is a no no. Other than that, probably around 3 weeks or so, purely down to weather conditions.

In the meantime, the rest of my life gets more of my attention :rolleyes:.

Tony,,

Part of Jan 2007 and the whole of February 2007 was a complete viewing & imaging drought for me. It was the worst period of night time weather since I got in to astro. :rolleyes:

Matt

Can't give an exact figure but it's more than a few months - hell it may be even 2 or 3 seasons :) Work commitments mean I can only observe Friday/Saturday but it's usually always cloudy during my short weekends :lol:

I'm going to start doing the lottery and 'if and when' I win, I'm retiring to BC or Arizona and wave bye bye to UK weather and light pollution :rolleyes:

Archived