Revelation 10 inch / Orion XT10

Larence

Hi all, Lawrence in Gainsborough Lincolnshire hear I've just joined Stargazer Lounge currently i'm using a Celestron Astro Master 130EQ it's my intention to up grade to a Revelation 10 inch Dob or a Orion xt 10 inch Classic Dob. It's a present to myself I'm 67 on April 1st { trust me when i say I've heard every crack in the book on that one! } Anyway to get back on topic i just don't know which way to go dew to my lack of experience. I would be very grateful for any advice. Hopefully Lawrence.           

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Greetings and welcome to SGL! We're friendly and rarely bite - so pull up a chair and make yourself at home. We love questions and will gladly load you up with ideas and advice.

On the main board, you will spot a forum entitled

Getting Started Equipment Help and Advice

Where you should find answers to your query on telescopes.

Clear Skies,

Dave

Hi and welcome to SGL - We're a friendly bunch and folks are always willing to impart their knowledge to help others  .................. I don't have a clue about your question so i'll sit this one out!!! :D

Look forward to seeing you around :)

Hi Lawrence and welcome to SGL

I've only ever had experience with the revelation scopes myself and they were nice bits of kit that worked very well, Never had any experience with the orion XT's. Both have a good name and should perform pretty equally I would think. 

Hopefully someone with experience of both will find your question.

First and Foremost, thanks to all for your welcome. to Dave in Vermont i will follow up on your suggestion. To Steve in London the fact that you consider the Revelation a nice bit of kit is a point on the score card for the Rev cos it's about £90 cheaper! I currently have a Telrad it's my unqualified opinion that it's an ACE bit of kit  that i intend to put on  my next scope i allsow have a small eye piece kit manufactured by Celestron consisting of 3 filters red, blue +black for the Moon  6mm i don't bother with it it's like trying to look through a pin hole a 15 mm i have found that it's very useful i allsow have a 10mm,  2x Barlow i'm planning on upgrading the Barlow i intend to ad a light pollution filter and a deep sky filter i think there are different types so comments would be appreciated. Best Wishes to All Lawrence.                                    

Lawrence

Upgrading to a better Barlow lens is a good option. The light pollution and deep sky filters less so. LP filters are mainly for imaging and visually seem to do little IMO.

Nebula filters work a lot better. With a 10" scope I'd be looking at making either a narrow band UHC filter or the line, O-III filter my first port of call as far as filters are concerned.

HTH

Hi all, to James Bristol i know were your coming from the last few years before i retired i worked as a security guard. So looking at the sky is something i did a lot of ! Your comment brought to mind a phrase i heard a lot of years ago. Possibly Oscar Wiled, I may be laid in the gutter but i can see the stares from her!  Steve thanks for straitening me out re filters, You say make a UHC  filter or O-III can you clarify please.              

Hi all, to Steve I've just had a quick squint at the article you have suggested it certainty appears that it answer all my questions. Next job is to make a o'pot'o tea rowel a cig read it to or three times and make a decision thanks for the advice mate.        

Hello Lawrence welcome to SGL.

If the  10" scope will be a lifetime scope I would suggest you look at the Orion Optics (Crewe) range.

They have four advantages :-

1. They can be bought with mirrors of high optical quality

2. They are much lighter then the Revelation//Skywatcher/Orion equivalents

3. The Orion Optics base is VERY smooth - no "sticktion" at all.

4. You can get an F/5 option for general observing or an F/6 option for planetary.

Archived