Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Photographing the sun

I have a digital slr camera that i would like to use for capuring images of the sun especially with the up and coming eclipse.

I have never tried to photograph the sun before but i am well aware of the dangers.

Some advise on exposure times / apature size etc along with any other help would be very much apreciated, and is there any particular software (easy to use) recommended.

I'll leave it to the more experienced others to give more detail, but as a minimum you need to get some Baader Solar filter foil....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Baader-Planetarium-AstroSolar-Filter-Observation/dp/B002SYD2EM/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1425561270&sr=1-2&keywords=baader+film

...and you need to order it asap, it's selling fast!

You would need to put a solar filter over the front. You can make one with Baader Solar Film.

Make sure it is securly fitted otherwise bye-bye DSLR.

The problem with a DSLR is that the sun is quite small, so with standard lens the image is actually small. It is not going to fill the vi=ew, actually it is about the size of a pea, maybe a bit less.

With a straight DSLR and lens you may (almost certainly will) have to set everything up yourself and so you could need to practise as all the "riules" that the DSLR will follow will be incorrect.

At a GUESS with a solar filter try f/5.6, Exposure 1/100 sec and ISO 200.

Best is to get the film, make a filter and play.

Archived