SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Skybt and skysafari 4 pro

ve1drg

I am thinking about buying a SKYBT unit to use with skysafari 4 pro.

I would like to know if anyone else has used the skybt and is it worth buying.

I use the Skywatcher AZEQ6 mount. And hope to plug the skybt into this unit.

Will this be a good move and does this skybt work good with the AZEQ6 mount??

Sent from my SM-G900W8

I don't know anything about the Skybt unit but here's an alternative to consider.

http://www.astrodevices.com/products/NexusS/NexusS.html

The Nexus-s doesn't need a separate power source as it uses the power from your synscan controller. I use one of their other units the Nexus (without the s) as a push to system for my Dob which is excellent so I'd guess the Nexus s works just as well.

I have not used the dedicated SkyFi unit but have used Sky Safari Pro Android version on my phone and tablet to operate my Synscan goto 16" dob.

I used a Raspberry Pi as a WiFi serial interface.

The pointing accuracy is excellent and the program very user friendly. With your equipment setup in SkySafari there is a great FOV view that really helps finding very faint objects. It is so much easier using a phone or tablet touchscreen than the handset for making observing lists before a session and the just hitting GOTO for each object, improving local pointing accuracy with the align button, finding object not in the Synscan database such as asteroids, comets etc.

Sorry for going slightly off subject Ted

Out of the skysafari line up which would be the most commonly recommended one of choice? I'm not an ipad or iphone owner so I'm guessing it would have to be reasonably basic to successfully use with out hang ups or cluttered screen views on my 4" screen S3 mini and cheapo 7" android tablet ?

I would like it to use with my synscan scopes (not sure what dongles etc are needed to do that ??) as well as for manually finding objects via some sort of star charts. I have no need to see what it would be like to fly through space etc but do like the idea of knowing details on the moon and a little bit of info on objects I'm seeing in the eyepiece. It would also be handy to know magnifications of eyepieces in my set up along with FOV etc.

One thing I have found a pain in most handheld software programs is that while they often offer red night view, when it comes to changing settings or searching for items it blows out my night vision with regular colour keypads and search screens. I would like to avoid this if paying up to £30. for an app

• 1 year later...

Archived