Hi

DeanSL

Hello, I guess I'm a but of a reverse to some on here. I'm currently doing the Moon's Futurelearn course and am wondering about buying a telescope. I'm unsure yet of how much use id get out of it. That said I've been reading a fair bit and have an idea of what I would buy if I were to buy (A second hand Sky-watcher 150P). I'd be primarily interested in planets and the moon, not sure about anything else. Luckily I've been able to borrow a Celestron 130 from some one ate work, they've only used it a couple of times themselves. They even bought a camera. It should at least give me some idea of how much ill be interested!

Hello Dean and welcome to SGL!!  The 150P is a good general use scope and will set you well on the way to starting put with this hobby.  For the Moon and planets a good focal length is an advantage which is why many people use SCT scopes like the Celestron SCT series.  There is a good range depending on the amount of money you have available!!!

I figure I can get a used 150p or 150pl for around £170 inc. mount if I am patient on ebay, including the mount. So that's my budget I guess. Would like to take pictures at some point too. I'll have a look at SCT scopes to see what there is.

Archived