SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Nice refractor

nightfisher

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got a baader mqr iv holder for mine, it came with a nice 50mm RACI i got from ebay.. so i can move the ep away at an angle. I also mount a red dot off the first tube ring. I've been looking at mounting the RACI there too... just need to take the pier off and fix it down..

Cheers Fozzie, i have tried the 9x50 on it indoors and feel i may have angled all things to make it half comfy to use, i have rather high hopes for this scope, lets hope it does not disappoint me, it has to out perform the Tal100rs to be a keeper :eek:  

I think it will be pretty darn close run race, i have looked through a Lyra and my Tal on the same session a couple of years back, and thinking back it was hard to choose the better of the 2.....................but one will go to a new home

Nice Jules :smiley:

I think thats the Altair version of the Kumming Optical 102mm F/11 isn't it ?.

I'm sure there was a shoot out between the Lyra Optical version and a TAL 100 a while back on the forum that the 102mm F/11 won by a short nose, so to speak. Very close though.

Correct John, yes its the AA f11, i guess there will be another Tal/102 shoot out to find the best performer. I am pleased to note that under the right light, the optics give an intense purple coating.

Nice one Jules, be interested to find out what you reckon to it in comparison to the tal, could this beauty turn you head? :-) :-)

cheers Phil,

we will have to wait and see what the next decent clear night brings, the fit and finish on this scope is very nice, very precision, though it does have a couple of minor marks on the paint

I hope youll be happy with it Jules. I've a short tube 60mm A.A. I use for A.P. (heathen ;) ) and I just love the feel of it. 

Cheers Scott, it should prove to be a great telescope and im sure it will give some stunning planet/Luna/solar system views

For some reason this made me think "I wonder, now that TAL's are out of production, what a mint condition one would go for a number of years time.. could be a collectors item" :wink:

Just a thought....

For some reason this made me think "I wonder, now that TAL's are out of production, what a mint condition one would go for a number of years time.. could be a collectors item" :wink:

Just a thought....

Depends what the production numbers on the TAL's were I guess. I suspect they were quite high.

The risk with the TAL's is that they assume some sort of mythological status as has happened to some scopes and eyepieces in the past and command prices that are not related to their real life abilities.

I'm not knocking the TAL 100's at all, having owned one in the past. They are good  quality and very affordable 100mm achromats :smiley:

We are going of topic a tiny bit but thats fine by me, i am one of the greatest fans of the 100rs, but end of the day its just a 4" f10 achro, with a half decent lens and on the newer ones a nice crayford, its not a magical scope, it cant peer into the depths where other achro`s wont go, it does show a small amount of CA but its very well controlled, its build is how shall we say      "variable", mine is well built but i have seen examples less well made.

Nick, if the f11 beats the TAL on optical qualitythe TAL will go, simples..........................(but i might hang onto it a good while :grin:

Okay, finally got a brief first light with this Starwave f11............no wow factor!  only had a look at Jupiter, however this is a good test in itself.

While the optics are very good, i dont see any improvement over a nice Tal100rs, but i find the Tal a more "simple" 4" achro, does a 4" long focal length achro really need a dual speed focuser, no..........the rotating set up on the starwave focuser is a pain, where as the Tal idea is more simple and just works a treat, also this f11 is a total sail in the wind with the dew shield extended, catching every gust of wind and buffeting the view some thing terrible.

Further testing and observing is required but at the moment the future looks some what Russian

Interesting Jules. Backs up my feeling that the TAL100rs is not 'just another 4"  achro'. Its a very good 4" achro. Is this Starwave the same as the Lyra?  I had a Starwave 102 ED a couple of years ago, at f7 if I recall correctly. Billed as a "semi-apo". Sharp, but only as good as the TAL, and lots of blue-purple bloom on bright stars. Certainly no better than the TAL for colour control. Nicely built though - I quite liked the focusser. Three times the price of the TAL, but nowhere near three times better!

I reckon your TAL100rs is safe for a while yet ;).

Archived