Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

baader solar wedge

rowan46

after much soul searching  I finally got round to buying one of these for visual is there anything i must have to use it eg polarising filter, or is this a nice to have and not strictly necessary.  if its in the must have what is my cheapest acceptable option because I have nearly blown my allowance

Congrats on the purchase!

I take it you have the visual ND filter included? You certainly need that for safe viewing. I like using the contrast-boosting Solar Continuum filter with it, I don't use a polariser. Cheapest option sounds false economy to me as you didn't go for the cheapest wedge, I would rather have a cheaper wedge at 80mm like a Lunt 1.25 or similar and Solar Continuum than Baader and skimping on the filter. Splash out, you only live once, 'tis probably but a mere drop in the astro money pit :grin:

Useful additions are polarising filter (you can vary the brightness a fair bit so is useful between the wedge and ep). Also a solar continuum filter will help you see finer detail on the solar surface such as graining.

Hopefully you're using this on a refractor not anything with mirrors in.

Happy viewing :-)

Useful additions are polarising filter (you can vary the brightness a fair bit so is useful between the wedge and ep). Also a solar continuum filter will help you see finer detail on the solar surface such as graining.

Hopefully you're using this on a refractor not anything with mirrors in.

Happy viewing :-)

it's going on my ts80

I think they only make the baader in 2" at least I didn't see a 1 1/4" version anywhere.  I thought about  the lunt  but with the euro as it is I could just afford the baader it gets such good reviews and I thought just for once I would like something top of the line intsead of 2nd best. I hope I am not disappointed

I think they only make the baader in 2" at least I didn't see a 1 1/4" version anywhere.  I thought about  the lunt  but with the euro as it is I could just afford the baader it gets such good reviews and I thought just for once I would like something top of the line intsead of 2nd best. I hope I am not disappointed

I hate spending money but the Baader wedge is one thing I'd have no hesitation in buying again.

Archived