Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New boy

ChrisBack

Hi,

Just moved to a new place that has rekindled my boyhood interest in astronomy.  I've forgotten almost everything I knew back then, so starting from almost nothing though.

First off, thanks to this site for stopping me buying a telescope immediately, I'm now waiting for my first decent pair of binoculars, Helios Quantum 4 15x70 decided on after reading a few threads and money being an issue.  Until they arrive, I'm doing a lot of reading and surviving with a small pair of binoculars I've had for years.  It's cloudy most of the time anyway, so no rush.

Any recommendations for beginners' guides or advice in general is welcome.

Cheers

Hi Chris,

Warm welcome to SGL.  Another vote for stellarium  which is great and free to be found here :-- http://www.stellarium.org/.  You could also try 'sky&telescope pocket star atlas' which is a great little atlas for finding your way round the sky. Well done for holding back on spending, I would advise you to go to one of your local astro clubs meets and see what other folk  have and what might suit you best.

Hello Chris and welcome to SGL have a think about where you want to go,with the hobby Observing only or are you interested in AP the answer will have a bearing on the type of telescope you will want to buy. Plenty of research while your waiting to buy will not go amiss. Learning your constellations will also put you in a good position when the time comes. Best of luck in your chosen hobby.

Welcome aboard, Chris! I agree with your approach. Do your research, ask questions and take your time otherwise you may end up buying kit that you will regret later. Afterall, the planets, stars and DSOs aren't going away any time soon  :smiley:

Regards

John

Hi Chris and welcome to SGL, quite understand what you mean about cloud here in N. Yorkshire, although we did have a couple of nice clear nights some days back, good observations with the bin's, especially my target of the moment, Comet Lovejoy :)

Hi and welcome

As a newbie myself I have found Turn Left at Orion to be a great book to tell you what to look for. It includes information for binocular users as well as telescope users

Good luck

Archived