Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

LittleSkink

Flight case with pre-cut foam - this co. any good?

Anyone any experience with these folks or this kit?:

http://www.cases-and-enclosures.co.uk/aluminium-flight-case-400x240x125mm.html?gclid=CjwKEAiA68WnBRCJxZr5qoaL3iMSJAAXIrr3Q8ClYeo6Cl_C1Y8o_IIfk1WBcelc0gA3lU_ynpBKYhoC7_Dw_wcB

I like the idea of small/mid sized case with pre cubed foam, which the current small Maplin case deal doesnt have, any other suggestions?

That's a good price but the Maplin case I bought a couple of weeks ago, for £25, is slightly larger and does have cubed foam.

I've bought from them before.  I can only say that I didn't get what I ordered.  I ordered a case with two clasps like you linked to, and they sent me a case with a single, completely different clasp, which was effectively useless to me for astro kit.  

When I complained, they simply said that the case I ordered wasn't available any more.   They gave me a partial refund, but Id have preferred them to let time know and cancel the order  beforehand instead.

They're quite good value, and mine may have been an isolated example, so I'd give them the benefit of the doubt, and probably order from them again, as they did apologise - your milage may vary though!

They will be spot on for holding astro gear.  The cubes are good to push the items down into and indenting the shape for a cosy fit, I have made the mistake of pulling areas out to make the holes and then making the area not very versatile as some of my gear changes.  

they sent me a case with a single, completely different clasp, which was effectively useless to me for astro kit.  

mine may have been an isolated example...

As long as they send the ones they show that is ! 

I used them to buy some replacement foam for a Maplins case - cheap, quick and good service. (Usual disclaimer)

I have one of their smaller cases which I use for my 1.25" stuff, nice quality, bought under the Allendale name off Ebay.

Double clasp like the one on your link.

For 2" eyepieces & finderscope I had 2 Bosch Drill boxes, I bought firm upholstery foam & fitted them out.  The Bosch boxes clip together, so it makes for less trips between the car & observing spot when setting up at a dark site.

I used this foam off Ebay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Upholstery-foam-cushions-Replacement-foams-Select-any-size-or-depth-free-post-/151072039248?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item232c986150  I chose the firm option to keep the bigger eyepieces well protected.  (Biggest one Nirvana 28mm).

Cheers,

Fondofchips.

I bought the case specifically for my BST Explorers/StarGuiders and very nice they look too!

Hi

I bought a case from Maplins this week for my eyepieces Code: N50FU

Special reduced price of £14.99

and it does have foam cubes 

Paul

thanks folks - went to Maplin and sure enough the small case was £15 and had diced foam

been using it a week and think I would prefer "proper" foam as cube cut stuff is very soft - you live and learn . . .  :embarassed: