Narrowband

What to expect if i upgrade my telescope ?

Hi guys,

I currently have my first telescope. It is a Bresser Skylux 70/700. I have gotten quite good use, just waiting for the weather to get a bit warmer so i can go outside and hopefully find Jupiter and Saturn. 

But i was hoping for some advice and expertise on what to get and expect if and when i do upgrade my scope. Any idea's on what to upgrade to and if so what is it capabilities ?

Thanks.  :grin:

Only advice I can give is.... don't wait for warmer weather!

When it gets warm, it also gets lighter in the evenings....not good for observing.

If you want the biggest bang for your money, then generally I'd say buy as large a Dobsonian reflector as you can.

That should start some debate!

If the idea is to stay with a refractor then why not stick with the Bresser/ES range as well. They have some well priced refractors.

In the achro line they do a 102 at just under f/10 and a 127 at f/8 (not a fan on short achros), they do a 152mm but that is a somewhat larger item.

ES (the other half of Bresser) do the ED/APO refractors and there is a nice 102ED at 850€ presently from ES.

If light gather is primary, for fainter DSO's etc, then it is a newtonian either as a dobsonian or mounted on an equitorial mount.

What to expect is more detail and bigger images but do not think that Jupiter will suddenly fill the eyepiece. What will be apparent is the detail that becomes visible.

Again that will depend on the scope, on a 102 ED somewhat better owing to colour correction and a sharper image when in focus. Something like the 102 achro will still have some CA but I would estimate quite small.

You are I think looking at an increase to around 100mm for the extra aperture to be apparent. You will be getting a doubling in light collection over the 70mm. Which I think is what is often recommended to appreciate a bigger scope on the visual side.

Any clubs close to that you could visit and possibly have a look through a 100mm scope. It helps a lot to know what to expect.

Archived