Hello! =)

PolaroidsNCurls

I am extremely new to astrophotography and I have been looking into getting the Canon 450 D. I've also been encouraged to purchase the Orion Adventures in Astrophotoraphy Bundle.  Any thoughts or comments would be of great help. It gets difficult to navigate through everything online at times so I've found it easiest to educate myself through forums. 

I was also wondering if there is any free software that I should look into and if yall knew of reliable online sites to purchase cameras and gear within the US. 

Thank you for your time.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to SGL from another imager. Can't help with your questions that relate to US stuff as I am firmly lodged in the EU and wouldn't want to get things wrong. What I can say is that AP is all about the mount...... mount ...... mount. If you don't have a good starting point and a sturdy mount then you are going to find it frustrating indeed. 

Have a look in the imaging section and look at people's images, they generally put what kit was used, so can give you some ideas. Most of all, be realistic about what you want to achieve. If you can, get hold of the book 'Making Every Photon Count' - Something of a DSO imagers bible - Will help you no end to understand what you need and why. I'd not spend a penny until it was read and thoroughly digested.

Look froward to seeing you around :)

Hi and welcome.

I second Sara's suggestion for you to get "Make every photon count". I'd recommend getting it and reading it before buying some kit. And try not to be tempted to put much of your money into a scope. Instead spend most of it on the mount.

Software wise, I don't know if you've been looking a planetarium software. If not, Stellarium and Cartes du Ciel are both free and good in my opinion

Something else that springs to mind is that, assuming you want to do deep sky photography, you should consider getting a modified camera, i.e. one with it IR filter removed or modified. A second-hand modded camera would be better than a brand-new 450D or similar. 

It is possible to get decent results with an unmodded camera, but it is more of a struggle (been there, done that), so if you can afford to have a dedicated astrophotography camera, you should get one.

Have fun getting your gear and imaging :)

Hi & Welcome to SGL.  Put a post in the Beginners section - Equipment Help & Advice as more people would read it there.  Good luck with the AP, would love to have a go at AP myself, but decided to learn my way around the sky and get used to a telescope first.  

Archived