Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

USB Port on the AZ EQ5-GT for laptop guiding?

AGreyCrane

I can't see a manual for this mount online; maybe ask FLO for a pdf copy of it and see what it says about the USB port. From a photo it looks like at least some leads plug into non-moving parts of the mount which is a good idea.

Second hand AZEQ6s go for less than a new one of these. Asides the reduced weight of the mount (and consequently reduced payload) what are the advantages of this mount? I've yet to use my AZEQ6 in alt-az mode despite that being one of the main reasons i got that mount; the saddle looks better on the 6, and payload difference is only 5kg (15kg for the 5, 20kg for the 6) but the 6 just looks a lot sturdier.

It will be interesting to hear how people are getting on with them.

James

I bought one of these new AZEQ5-GT'S last week. I ended up sending it straight back as it is far to low even with the pier tripod legs extended and I am only 5'5 tall !. The RA and Dec clutch's were slipping quite badly even after balancing my Megrez 120, which weigh's 6 Kg plus another 2 Kg accessories. The power lead is extremely short at 2 metres, only good for portable power packs. It is a tiny mount compared to it's big brother. It has a new polarscope aswell, which is a much nicer engineered piece of kit with a new etching on the reticule.

It is also quite alot of cash for what it is I feel. Regards All Simon.

I bought one of these new AZEQ5-GT'S last week. I ended up sending it straight back as it is far to low even with the pier tripod legs extended and I am only 5'5 tall !. The RA and Dec clutch's were slipping quite badly even after balancing my Megrez 120, which weigh's 6 Kg plus another 2 Kg accessories. The power lead is extremely short at 2 metres, only good for portable power packs. It is a tiny mount compared to it's big brother. It has a new polarscope aswell, which is a much nicer engineered piece of kit with a new etching on the reticule.

It is also quite alot of cash for what it is I feel. Regards All Simon.

Interesting, thanks for the giving your experience. I'm surprised to hear of the slippage, with only 8Kg on the mount. That should be well within limits based on the specs I have seen. I'd be in roughly the same boat, with my 80ED.

It sounds like the 6" pier extension they are selling would still not get the mount up to a decent height for me. I'm 6'3, though I tend to sit in a chair while viewing, so maybe the height would be fine.

I guess it is bad that I do not even count the short power lead as a negative, as I am just happy it would have one at all. The Orion models of these mounts I usually have to source here in the States do not even come with power leads. They are addons.  :eek:

I can't see a manual for this mount online; maybe ask FLO for a pdf copy of it and see what it says about the USB port. From a photo it looks like at least some leads plug into non-moving parts of the mount which is a good idea.

Second hand AZEQ6s go for less than a new one of these. Asides the reduced weight of the mount (and consequently reduced payload) what are the advantages of this mount? I've yet to use my AZEQ6 in alt-az mode despite that being one of the main reasons i got that mount; the saddle looks better on the 6, and payload difference is only 5kg (15kg for the 5, 20kg for the 6) but the 6 just looks a lot sturdier.

It will be interesting to hear how people are getting on with them.

James

The reduced weight, and compact tripod were attractive to me. Since they would make traveling with it easier. Also, it claims to pull 2A instead of the 3A of the AZ EQ6-GT.

Simon's report has me a bit worried though with that slippage, on a pretty minimal setup like mine...

Can you go to a show room or astro-event where you can get your hands on one and feel for yourself the sturdiness and check it out for height and have a play with one? A friend and i looked at it online the other night, and we did think it looked much less substantial than the azeq6 (which we both have so are biased); one would imagine this mount is pitched at people who want to do some imaging of some description so it is a surprise that the clutches slip with only half the recommended payload.

The difference in ampres, is that peak "consumption"? I suspect if both set ups were well balanced, the power comsumption for both during sidereal tracking would be similar and much less than 2-3A.

I guess it all is a balance of portability vs sturdiness.

Good luck with the research.

James

The reduced weight, and compact tripod were attractive to me. Since they would make traveling with it easier. Also, it claims to pull 2A instead of the 3A of the AZ EQ6-GT.

Simon's report has me a bit worried though with that slippage, on a pretty minimal setup like mine...

This is what attracted me to this mount , having already owned it's bigger brother.  I most definately was not impressed with the Ra/Dec clutch's on the mount that was shipped to me. They slipped even when they were locked. The AZ EQ5-GT also need's a extendable tripod to get around the height restriction. However, I think your ED80 would be fine for it and any small solar scope's etc. It is super light and very portable but felt slightly inadequate for my scope even when balanced and as i said earlier, the viewing position is going to be very low for a six footer. I did not configure the mount in ALT/AZ mode where you may gain abit of height. Hope that helps. Regards All. :smiley:

Can you go to a show room or astro-event where you can get your hands on one and feel for yourself the sturdiness and check it out for height and have a play with one? A friend and i looked at it online the other night, and we did think it looked much less substantial than the azeq6 (which we both have so are biased); one would imagine this mount is pitched at people who want to do some imaging of some description so it is a surprise that the clutches slip with only half the recommended payload.

The difference in ampres, is that peak "consumption"? I suspect if both set ups were well balanced, the power comsumption for both during sidereal tracking would be similar and much less than 2-3A.

I guess it all is a balance of portability vs sturdiness.

Good luck with the research.

James

Unfortunately, in the US they are not even going to start demoing the AZ EQ5-GT until April at NEAF, a big 2 day astronomy event. Not even taking pre-orders or anything prior to that. Even once they do come out, there is only one store that caries telescopes in my city of 5.4 million people, and the more expensive mounts seem to be custom order only. This could be one of the ones they carry though, I'll have to wait an see I guess.

At the moment, I am considering pulling the trigger on a AZ EQ6-GT... as it seems it will be quite some time before I get a chance at the AZ GQ5-GT. On the other hand... I've done the math and I could fit the AZ EQ5 into my carry on suitcase...

Archived