Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Totally Bodacious Dude! (M81 in LRGB)

PhotoGav

Hi Gav, a nicely detailed image you have there. Well done. I would agree with the above regarding colour but I also note a bit of vertical banding. I'm interested in this as I have seen the same with my own 683 camera on a couple of occasions and have recently been in touch with QSI about it. As of now they report quite a number of there customers are seeing this banding in their calibration files and they are looking into it. Have you noticed this yourself?

Pete

Hi Pete / Gav, I was thinking of getting QSI683  to go with the WO Star71, regarding the banding is there any consensus as to the cause, could it be aggravated by long focal length ?

Is there a link to the QSI discussion ?

Dave

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm interested to see how Pete's dealings with QSI progress. This is the first time that I have seen anything of this nature with my camera and I'm very inclined to think it is just my poor processing and overstretching of the data. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the QSI 683 - it's a corker of a CCD!

I resisted looking at this one for a few days due to the title. Bill & Ted referendes!! In this day and age ???

Then I got my head out of my bottom. Remembered how much I enjoyed the film and had a look...

Glad that I did Great great image.

Party on dude.

Paul

• 3 months later...

Awesome man! Ive just bought an edgehd 800 myself and this image gives me a lot of excitement. Arrives friday. This is an exceptional shot and one of if not the best ive seen taken with this scope. Cheers.

Thank you @awestruck. Congrats on the new scope! You will learn to love it, though it is a beast that takes some taming and I am not there yet. It's probably not the ideal scope for AP, but it has great length, so compensates for other shortcomings. One thing you will need is great guiding as you need looooooooong exposure times to sniff out the photons. Enjoy!

I like this image and also found the spiral arms hard to get right in terms of the blues. The resolution is lovely, as is the range of brightnesses.

I don't stack in Nebulosity but in Astro Art and that is not infalllible in terms of aligning R,G and B. It usually gets it right but I peer into the corners at 400% to check. If it's a bit off I realign in Registar which never fails.

Olly

Archived