Narrowband

Anyone recognise these (barlow and eyepieces)

Bone_Idle

It's been a  long time since I posted on Stargazers lounge, I got some great advice when I was just starting.

Anyway, I drifted away from Astronomy for a while, but I'm now drifting back, and I've been checking over my gear. I forgot about a Barlow and eyepieces I bought on ebay.

The eyepieces' are 2 multicoated plossls, both silver coloured and non branded. They feel solid and all metal, rather than plastic.

The Barlow looks like a Vixen 2x Deluxe, but the makings are different to ones I've seen on the web. It's made in Japan.

Does anyone recognise these? I seem to remember the Barlow being an improvement on the Skywatcher Barlow I had, but I don't think I used the Eyepieces at all.

P1010091.JPGP1010092.JPG

I've tried to show the barlow writing clearly in the second photo.

I guess my real question is...are these worth keeping?

Thanks

Nick

Actually look good for some reason.

The barlow has (it seems) a symbol on the side that is not shown in the single image of the barlow, an image of that would be useful.

The Symbol is just a V in a circle. I've tried to show it more clearly here.

P1010098.JPG

Thanks

Nick

Can't see anything exactly like mine, but  this one looks like a still current version (almost the same except the lettering) http://www.telescopesandbinoculars.co.uk/acatalog/73674-Vixen-Barlow-Lens-Deluxe-2x-1712.html

Looks like the specs are:-

Weight: 140g (4.94oz)
31.7mm push-fit.
3-element lens design.
Fully multi-coated.
For telescopes with fast focal ratio.

Not really sure if that makes it good, or what "fast focal ratio" means?

I'll keep digging. :smiley: 

The silver plossl will be the older freebies that came with Helios scopes, then some of the earlier blue tube sky watcher scopes and I believe some select Celestron scopes like the C100D. They are better than the really cheap and nasty plastic MA eyepieces that are supplied with new scopes these days but still not as good as most budget alternatives available on the market today.

The barlow looks like a circle 'v' vixen barlow and no doubt the same as the one you linked to http://www.telescope...xe-2x-1712.html This would be a keeper as not much is recommended for fast scopes these days. Of course the balrow is only going to be as good as the eyepiece you put in to it so don't expect fantastic views if you plan on using the silver body plossls in it. If you were to ever do any webcam or similar imaging I'm sure the results would be above average.

Fast ratio means short focal length scopes such as f/4 compared to your Evostar 90 which is f/10 and slow ratio. Fast ratio scopes are typically demanding on eyepieces and often an eyepiece or barlow of good quality is recommended for such a scope.

HTH

The silver plossl will be the older freebies that came with Helios scopes, then some of the earlier blue tube sky watcher scopes and I believe some select Celestron scopes like the C100D. They are better than the really cheap and nasty plastic MA eyepieces that are supplied with new scopes these days but still not as good as most budget alternatives available on the market today.

The barlow looks like a circle 'v' vixen barlow and no doubt the same as the one you linked to http://www.telescope...xe-2x-1712.html This would be a keeper as not much is recommended for fast scopes these days. Of course the balrow is only going to be as good as the eyepiece you put in to it so don't expect fantastic views if you plan on using the silver body plossls in it. If you were to ever do any webcam or similar imaging I'm sure the results would be above average.

Fast ratio means short focal length scopes such as f/4 compared to your Evostar 90 which is f/10 and slow ratio. Fast ratio scopes are typically demanding on eyepieces and often an eyepiece or barlow of good quality is recommended for such a scope.

HTH

Thanks for that info.

I do have a few other eye pieces, some Celestron Omni 32mm, 12mm and 9mm, so hopefully they will be a better option with the Barlow.

I'm selling my Evostar, as it's just too big when we go away in the camper and I can't abserve from the back garden anymore, since developers build housing at the back, and put a street light right next to the fence!

I'm going for a puely travel only set up if a sturdy tripod and a skywatcher  Skymax 90, which I can hopefully fit in my Maplin flight casde with a selection of my better eyepieces.

Am I right in thinking that the reason it is recomended for fast telescopes is purely down to quality, it will still work fine on a slow scope?

Yes it is basically a suggestion of quality as most astronomers are familiar with the demands of fast scope. It will work perfectly well in slower scopes although the Skymax 90 at f/13.88 isn't going to call for much need of a barlow unless you plan on buying very long focal length eyepieces ?

Yes it is basically a suggestion of quality as most astronomers are familiar with the demands of fast scope. It will work perfectly well in slower scopes although the Skymax 90 at f/13.88 isn't going to call for much need of a barlow unless you plan on buying very long focal length eyepieces ?

I was wondering as much, I think one of my current eyepieces is too much for it anyway, the 6mm will give 208x, which is above the recommended 180x max.

hopefully the MAK will arrive this week, so I can play about and find the best combinations, it may be that some longer eyepieces with the Barlow work better than some of the shorter ones without.

I can't even remember if I used either of them, or not. I remember using the Barlow and that was good., but not the EP's.

New scope has arrived anyway, so I might try them when I try the scope. Otherwise I'll just ebay them and keep the Barlow (probably not to use on the MAK, but maybe when I get a complimentary travel scope for wide field stuff).

Archived