Vixen Porta2 v AZ4-2 for TAL 100RS?

MAN or ASTROMAN

Hi all, unfortunately looking for some advice here,trying to get a positive from a negative (or trying to stop a drama turning into a crisis).Had a marvellous observing session down at the allotment with my Tal100RS and AZ4 mount with steel legged tripod.Really one of the best sessions I've had,and went home buzzing! However,due in part to tiredness,and complacency,I made the mistake of leaving the mount locked in my allotment shed,to save two trips home by foot.YES,you've guessed it-it was the very night that thieves decided to hit our site en-mass,obviously armed with bolt cutters,etc. Went to collect the mount the next morning to find it GONE. :eek:   Anyway,after feeling thoroughly 'miffed' for a day and a half,I've decided that 'Nil Carberundrum illegitamis' is the order of the day,and I need to replace my mount. Whilst the AZ4 performed admirably,and is fantastic value as a GnG mount,I did sort of miss slo-mo's at high mags. Would a Vixen Porta2 be any  'better', with it's slo-mo's (which I'd replace with long controls anyway).My concerns with the Porta2 are the Alu tripod,and possibly(?) it's height.  Either way,I think I'd be looking for 'pre-loved' gear,and investing in some sort of trolley. Oh Joy! :mad:

Archived