Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

JimS

Planetary Imaging with Canon LiveView

Hi all,

On Saturday night I had my first go at using the EOS video recording software for the Canon using LiveView at prime focus on my SCT.

I used Jupiter as it seemed an easy first target and I had already done some capturing using a webcam. Whilst the resolution seemed very good, the whole video is rather blue. I haven't got the image at the moment but I will update this evening when I get home.

The settings as far as I can remember were fairly standard at ISO400 and shutter speed of approx 1/30 second and a daylight white balance.

Does anyone know why this would have happened? Would I need a UV/IR filter?

Cheers!

Hi,

Unless you have had a full spectrum mod on your camera, then there will be and IR/UV filter in the camera, so that won't be the problem.

You could maybe try the auto WB setting rather that daylight, it might make a difference, I use Daylight for DSO imaging, but never done planetary with my DSLR.

Sorry could be more help

AB

did you have a light pollution filter in the way if so this will account for the blue tint

Edited by toxic

Cheers for the replies.

Camera is an unmodded 450D and I didn't have any filters. I attach directly to the SCT using the 2" T-rings, an all my filters are 1.25"......

Also, quick stupid question but how do you attach an image as a thumbnail as opposed to a download link?

Wow that is blue  It looks to me like the saturation setting is wrong.  I don't use AutoStekkart so not too sure.  

I'm using same camera as you and I've been getting some pretty good results with backyard eos.    There is a month long free trial.  Of course it does mean you need to drag a laptop outside.   You can save a series of J-Pegs and/or avis.  I've been using registax 6 as my stacking program

Edited by Casus belli

Just a had a V quick look at the Jupiter image in Photoshop and adjusted the colour channels using the levels tool to balance the histogram peaks.

As with your M42 image the white balance on the camera needs setting to fixed "Sun" or "Cloud", probably not auto ,and definitely not "Tungsten" or artificial light.

The white ring around the outside of the planet is often caused by having the gain of the camera set too high while capturing video, the image should appear very flat, dull and lifeless, it only comes to life again once stacked and stretched.

I have always found it incredibly difficult to capture good planetary video with a DSLR, you have made a better success of it than I have ever achieved!

William.

Before PS levels:

After PS levels:

Edited by Oddsocks

Thanks again William.

As soon as you mentioned the blue levels in my Orion I figured that must be the issue with the Jupiter shots.

This was my first attempt using DSLR video option but obviously would help to get my white balance sorted next time.

I also had a go with my webcam as well. 1,000 frames taken and stacked using AutoStekkart.

post-24097-0-86156600-1424819617.jpg

• Like 1

As others said, sounds like white balance problem, especially if youre getting it on stills too.

Just a thought: the 450D outputs movie as .MOV only I think. How are you converting to .AVI for Autostakkert?

Also what percentage of frames are you using in Autostakkert?

I got quite an improvement in final image using wavelets - Autostakkert doesnt have this, but Avistack does. Maybe post-process with Avistack?

Before/After  wavelets:

post-33831-0-10293300-1424877079.pngpost-33831-0-53619200-1424876795.png

Hi all,

On Saturday night I had my first go at using the EOS video recording software for the Canon using LiveView at prime focus on my SCT.

I used Jupiter as it seemed an easy first target and I had already done some capturing using a webcam. Whilst the resolution seemed very good, the whole video is rather blue. I haven't got the image at the moment but I will update this evening when I get home.

The settings as far as I can remember were fairly standard at ISO400 and shutter speed of approx 1/30 second and a daylight white balance.

Does anyone know why this would have happened? Would I need a UV/IR filter?

Cheers!

Hi I was wondering if u can help me,I attached my 700d with a t adapter to my sct but says I need lens attached to film in live view but if I do that how would I use my telescope as a lens :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi I was wondering if u can help me,I attached my 700d with a t adapter to my sct but says I need lens attached to film in live view but if I do that how would I use my telescope as a lens :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Might want a new thread for this - but I think you will need to be hooked up to laptop with EOS utilities. On my 550D the screen message shows "no lens" (or similar) but you can control from laptop.

• Like 1

Sorry but can't help you here.

I have a 450D and don't seem to get that error. Older camera maybe?