Narrowband

Stellarium-FOV preview

kalasinman

Open Stellarium, on the left click "configuration", then "plugins", then "oculars", then lower right "configure". I usually start with entering a choice of telescopes. You'll select that and then you should see a box with "my telescope" and a box with specs on the right choose a name and enter specs of what your interested in. Every time you click on "add" it will add a "my telescope" , then just change the name and specs to suit .

For eyepieces, sensors, etc. you don't have to do anything else once you've entered the specs  as instructed for "telescopes". the name and data will appear in the next stage.

If you observe, enter your eyepieces under eyepieces

If you image, enter specs on your DSLR and/or CCD  under "sensors"

For lenses list a Barlow or reducer as choices as well as a "none" entry for when you don't use one.

OK, so close that box and on the main scree, upper right, there should be a window with a circle, a rectangle and 2 other boxes, one is for Telrad

how to use: move the main screen by zooming and dragging around or use the search feature on the left to go to an object of interest. If you use search, you'll see it bracketed in the main window, if you dragged around, you must select it with a click.

OK, so then click the first box with the circle in upper right.

View will represent the view with one combination of the choices of gear you entered previously. A small box will show what's currently shown. click on the pip to the right of any item and it will select each item you entered previously in turn. Just keep clicking on the items till you get the combination that suits. If you click on the rectangle instead of the circle, the view will be a box representing the FOV of one of the sensors you selected.

All this can be handy for planning purchases as well as future imaging runs.

• 2 months later...

Archived