Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DSLR Rosette - Post your pics

Hello All

As we approach the end of the winter season, I have only managed to get 3:30 hrs on the Rosette.

Now this tardyness has been mostly my fault as much as I wish to blame the weather.

I have had the opportunity to image rosetta, but squandered my time on others. (some of which are throwaway really.)

I am slowly learning that my best images are the ones I turn into projects over multiple nights.

Anyway, here is the beginning of my Rosette project with my ED80 at 210min. 

Now I want to push this up to 600 if I can, but I am not sure what more it will add and if it is worth it.

So if you dear reader have ventured down this path please share your image to give me inspiration  :laugh:

Or tell me I am a fool and I will pursue something else  :eek:

Thanks for your time and enjoy my image.

PS, If you have any lum or ha data you would like to donate to me, so I can increase the detail, please let me know. 

As I am thinking of getting a mono CCD and I was wanting to play with ideas on how I could augment my imaging. 

Rosetta_IC49_210_ISO800_12C.png

Nice! I've got the Baader filter sitting here for my Nikon, but haven't got to the mod yet.

Nice, nerve racking stuff opening a camera :) 

Many threads online about how to do it. ... I chickened out and got Jaun from Cheapastrophotography to do mine, but he live in kent and I in sussex. 

Here's my closeup from four years ago. Back in the days when we used SPC900 webcams as guide cams. My, where have the years gone!

c. 4.5 hours of 5 min subs, UNmodded Canon 450d, 250mm f/4.8 Newtonian, NEQ6, PHD Guiding using an SPC900 webcam + ST80 guidescope.

10892324706_3cfcc100b4_b.jpg

When one has the mod, isn't a custom white balance used?

My 2 pannel effort, 1 hour per pannel;

This was my effort last year. Unmodded 600d (since modded so must revisit) just 24 mins on this so noisy.

So this is interesting result emerging here. A modified DSLR colour balance will be heavy in the red spectrum due to all the added HA.

Now even though I colour balance in DSS and select modified DSLR, it is still red heavy.

I must say I like the Unmodded colour rendition with the white showing up in the center. i.e Graham image.

My Image has the white, but it is overwhelmed by the by the HA. 

I have been playing in PS with my colour balance to see if I can correct it. 

This is another attempt at processing, my curves may have been abit to aggressive as I have clipped some back ground to kill noise.

Rosetta_210m_ISO800_600s_12C_Web_L.png

Hope you think this is better.

Here's my attempt from January last year. It's 11 x 600s with a Canon 60D that I modded and a Skywatcher 80ED with reducer. In response to the OP question - I think that a target like this will benefit from longer subs and as with all images, the more subs the better.

post-29321-0-19962800-1424729981_thumb.p

Good luck Chris, I look forward to seeing your next version of this beautiful target!

Don't know how you do it, but you get the most amazing single sub images :)

I do most of my work from a dark sky site in Mid Wales and that is key. You can do 10 minute subs at high camera ISO's without too much fear of washing out the subs with light pollution. Nowadays I'm inclined to use ultra fast (F4 & F2.9) Newtonian scopes as well so I can go deeper much quicker- it's one way of getting over the camera noise issues generated by over long subs and using very ISO's

That said I find the Rosette Nebula one of the brightest of DSO's so it should be possible to image something of it from almost anywhere. It responds very well to Ha filters and modified DSLR's will help.

Regarding colour balance- I find the best time to adjust this is when opening your initial RAW file ready to import into Photoshop for initial processing. I use Photoshop Elements where there are colour temperature & tint slider bars to adjust balance prior to import. After these tweaks I save the files as TIFF files.

I like to pre-process my subs and stack the TIFF files as I find I get more control over the final result. Some folk stack the RAW subs but I find this never works for me!

....I find the Rosette Nebula one of the brightest of DSO's so it should be possible to image something of it from almost anywhere. It responds very well to Ha filters and modified DSLR's will help...

That's true. My pic of the Rosette earlier in this thread was captured with an unmodded camera in suburbia with quite severe light pollution. Fortunately, we still have the old orange street lamps here, so a Light Pollution filter was very effective.

Archived