Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Flame to the Sword (an ongoing project) - 130pds

Uranium235

Blimey.... this one has been dragging on since the new year - Jan and Feb really hasnt been kind in terms of clear sky (and moonless sky). But, last night I was able to get out there and replace a lot of the moon damaged data, not all of it - but its an improvement on what it was.

Ever since starting AP, Ive wanted this image - but I know its by no means over. Still much to do in tems of data, it probably needs another 5 or 6 hours along the bottom. Once its complete im thinking of rolling the data over for next year and try getting some serious time on target (2.5hr per pane isnt enough tbh). A tricky blighter to process too, much to consider as you stretch the image - layer masks for the M42 core, Flame and Alnitak were required.

I quipped a while ago about me still doing this at SGLX, looks like it might turn out to be true! :D

2.5 hours (in 10 and 15min subs) x6 panes, 2x2 bin

130pds, NEQ6, Atik 383L+

Thanks for looking :)

16429883180_45c098d352_o.jpg

After I had guided Orion as far as I could, I switched over to M106 for an hour before packing up: (6x600)

16431354449_edaa6d3297_o.jpg

Christopher Davenport, on 22 Feb 2015 - 10:35 PM, said:

Nice one, this is turning into a labor of love :)

I love how crisp you get your images and this is fantastic in that respect.

Cheers Chris, I think I will call it a day on this one when I either run out of time, or get that fluff between M42 and the HH to a point where I can give it a proper stretch.

Beautiful pictures. I don't think I would ever have the patience or skill to produce such images but I would be very content if I did. I particularly like the monochrome approach. Lovely

Thanks :) I am considering adding colour at some point (though a bit too late for it now) - it depends on how responsive a 1000d is to an OIII filter (ie: try to grab OIII using the DSLR, albeit at half the resolution and lower sensitivity). Ive not tried it before, and might be worth doing at SGLX since it would be daft not to take advantage of the dark sky on offer.

Thalestris24, on 22 Feb 2015 - 10:48 PM, said:

I figure you have much darker skies than me!

Not really :) I live just 10min walk from a town centre, and there are LED lights, and oncoming car headlights to deal with - but that can be screened out. What has really made the difference this time is when my new neighbour decided to clear two 60ft trees from his back garden, I now get Orion uninterrupred from East to West (about 7 hours worth is possible in one night).  

Not really :) I live just 10min walk from a town centre, and there are LED lights, and oncoming car headlights to deal with - but that can be screened out. What has really made the difference this time is when my new neighbour decided to clear two 60ft trees from his back garden, I now get Orion uninterrupred from East to West (about 7 hours worth is possible in one night).  

Yeah but I live close to Glasgow city centre - nearly everyone has less lp than me! I'm thinking of getting one of these:

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p2159_TS-Optics-Filter-Quick-Changer-incl--1x-2--filter-drawer---low-profile.html

And doing some more Ha with the qhy8l. I know it's not ideal to do nb with a osc but I did a quick experiment last year and got some ok pics.

Louise

I think NB is the way to go for you then :)  but, a mono camera would help a lot more.

You should definitely get something out of OIII, since you will be using the two green detectors. Not sure if you need 1.25 or 2" filters, but I need to warn you that the latter isnt very wallet friendly!

I have a set of 2" baader nb in a filter wheel but they're patiently waiting for a mono camera.... I was thinking the filter drawer might be a way to occasionally use nb with the qhy8l. I could fit the fw to it but I know the set won't get used much but the drawer plus an Ha might.

Louise

Very nice image. We're working the Horsehead and have done M42 in the past so it's lovely to see those 2 targets together. Looking at it, I can see why you wanted that image.

Re-admiring your image again, I just spotted that you're binning it 2x2. That's a really good idea. We're working on a mosaic of the Heart and I now wish I had binned the panes as we're only going to have to re-sample and reduce the size of the final image.

What a cracking image. I hope we'll be able to do something like it one day!

Very nice image. We're working the Horsehead and have done M42 in the past so it's lovely to see those 2 targets together. Looking at it, I can see why you wanted that image.

Re-admiring your image again, I just spotted that you're binning it 2x2. That's a really good idea. We're working on a mosaic of the Heart and I now wish I had binned the panes as we're only going to have to re-sample and reduce the size of the final image.

What a cracking image. I hope we'll be able to do something like it one day!

Binning would depend on the focal length used, the pixel size and the resolution you will be shooting at (3.5" p/p is about the limit) - and whether the gain is such that it makes it worthwhile. The 8300 chip delivers a 2.2x gain in signal when binned, but a Sony chip might deliver less than 1.8x (you will need to measure it first), my old Sony 285 could only manage 1.8x when binned.

Thanks Martyn, I fully intend to keep this one for next winter, and its unlikely that im going to be switching telescopes anytime soon!  But if im lucky, I might be able to sneak a few more hours in before Orion is too far gone.

Galaxy season is coming up, so Im hoping the 130 can perform in that department too (going to try for a good M106 this time). Perhaps time to put together a target list for the star party... only three weeks to go! :)

Cheers Jake, unfortunately there has been no more clear sky and the Moon is now out in force. Look like last chance saloon with this one now! Knowing my luck it will clear up just as I pack up the gear ready for the annual jaunt down to lucksall :)

Archived