Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

wideangle eyepieces for 12"

I have got a collection of plossol eyepieces and filters. Sizes 32mm-6mm. I am interested in buying 2 wide angled eyepieces one for looking at planets and the other for looking at deep space objects. I have 12” dobsonian. Any advise on what sizes I should go for?

I have got a collection of plossol eyepieces and filters. Sizes 32mm-6mm. I am interested in buying 2 wide angled eyepieces one for looking at planets and the other for looking at deep space objects. I have 12” dobsonian. Any advise on what sizes I should go for?

Assuming that your scope is an F/5 or therabouts, I would go for a 32mm eyepiece in the 2 inch size. You can get some quite good ones which give a 70 degree field of view for £50-£60. If you go for a longer focal length eyepiece the exit pupil (the bundle of light rays coming through your scope / eypeice combination) will be getting too large for your pupil to take in.

If you have a large budget you might want to think about the 28mm William Optics UWAN or even a Nagler 31mm which both give an 82 degree field of view and provide superb wide angle views with a sensible sized exit pupil.

There are other options as well but IMHO sticking to around the 30mm focal length mark is the way to go.

John

What about an eyepiece for looking at Saturn and other planets? I was thinking of a 3.5mm with a 70-degree field of view.

The Hyperion 3.5mm has a 68 degree FoV and that's pretty good.

John

Thanks john/gaz o’c

I only have information on skywatcher swa eyepieces. Where can I get information on hyperion eyepieces? Plus I have been looking at m81 and m82 with a 20mm plossel and thought that that was a good size. could I improve on that?

First Light Optics (see banner at the top of this page) sells the Hyperions - give Steve a call and mention your SGL membership when you talk to him, you might get a discount. Also, search this site for reviews, there's been a few, all positive as far as I can recall.

HTH, Martin

Archived