SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M81 and the IFN in LRGB 28hrs total

peter shah

What a night last night...managed to grab enough to process this...although I will probably grab better red and green  subs. I really had to work hard to make it work...Surprisingly the IFN in the blue channel was the strongest...but the red frames were captured with variable conditions in between rain showers. Still not convinced there is much in the way of colour in the IFN itself....but I've come this far so I may as well try for some better Red and green data.
Total 28hours captured using 30min subs.
Thanks for looking

a0913.jpg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stunning Peter - love the colours and the sheer crispness of the image.

On Steve Mandel's webpage about the IFN - it says that  "The dust is scattering blue light and is fluorescing a broad red spectrum of light known as the Extended Red Emission (ERE) that adds an additional broad-band emission to the red part of the spectrum.  Therefore,  on color images there are both blue and red components creating beautiful and interesting images. "

A lot of his images are distinctly blue - so maybe waht you're getting is "right" - well, as "right" as anything in AP!!

Link to the IFN webpage: http://www.galaxyimages.com/UNP_IFNebula.html

Steve

thanks everyone

Stunning Peter - love the colours and the sheer crispness of the image.

On Steve Mandel's webpage about the IFN - it says that  "The dust is scattering blue light and is fluorescing a broad red spectrum of light known as the Extended Red Emission (ERE) that adds an additional broad-band emission to the red part of the spectrum.  Therefore,  on color images there are both blue and red components creating beautiful and interesting images. "

A lot of his images are distinctly blue - so maybe waht you're getting is "right" - well, as "right" as anything in AP!!

Link to the IFN webpage: http://www.galaxyimages.com/UNP_IFNebula.html

Steve

I think in that case ...im not calling this one finished until I have better quality Red frames...just in case

Yes.  This is easily the best I have seen of this.  Are some of the stars just a tad red?  It's not a criticism, it is a question!

Chris

i dont mind criticism......you are probably right i had to push the red channel fairly hard...so there will be another version of this when i have more red and possibly green

Stunning capture Peter, and beautifully processed I love the colours!

Thanks Martyn....I've been going over the colour data very carefully, I think the is more colour in the Flux than I first thought. In my process it looks quite blue and I can just see there is a slight redish-brown tint to parts of the flux. The weak signal in the red and green data is making it difficult to pull any meaningful colour out of the it...I need more!.....I've gone this far with it I'm going to keep plugging away at it...and get lots more.. .

I really like the associated patchy interstellar medium showing up in this - this is going to be my next target and it's great to see how it could look ....if I had a set up like yours lol!

David

Archived