QHY5-ii mono OR QHY5L-ii mono

AstroJOE

After a bit of advice from the experts please...

I'm in the market for a reasonably priced guide cam to use with an OAG on my CPC1100 (2800mm). I also use a 0.63 focal reducer.

I'm leaning towards one of the QHY5 mono cameras but I'm not sure which one would be best. The QHY5-ii mono is about £200 and has a 1/2 inch CMOS. The QHY5L-ii mono is about £30 more and has a higher QE and greater fps but has a smaller 1/3 inch sensor.

Bearing in mind I'll be using it with an OAG on a scope with a large focal length, would it be better to go for the cheaper camera with the larger sensor? Or the more expensive and more sensitive one but with a smaller sensor?

I would also like to use it for some mono planetary imaging (with filters) but it's main use will be as a guide cam.

Any advice would be welcome.

James

Cheers Steve. I was thinking sensitivity would probably win over but I wasn't sure whether having a larger sensor would increase the chances of picking up a star on the outer edges.

It appears the 'L' version would be better for planetary as we'll so providing it does work we'll as a guide cam with an OAG I'll happily fork out the extra £30.

James

After a bit of advice from the experts please...

I'm in the market for a reasonably priced guide cam to use with an OAG on my CPC1100 (2800mm). I also use a 0.63 focal reducer.

I'm leaning towards one of the QHY5 mono cameras but I'm not sure which one would be best. The QHY5-ii mono is about £200 and has a 1/2 inch CMOS. The QHY5L-ii mono is about £30 more and has a higher QE and greater fps but has a smaller 1/3 inch sensor.

Bearing in mind I'll be using it with an OAG on a scope with a large focal length, would it be better to go for the cheaper camera with the larger sensor? Or the more expensive and more sensitive one but with a smaller sensor?

I would also like to use it for some mono planetary imaging (with filters) but it's main use will be as a guide cam.

Any advice would be welcome.

James

There is an SX loadstar on astro buy and sell at the moment for £210, seems like a good buy to me, here:

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=94041

Regards

AB

Archived