Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Illicit star trade

ASIGN_Baz

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suppose I could make a tidy sum selling plots on Vulcan.

Not to make a profit of course. Profit is a Ferengi thing and all very sordid really.

Vulcan is too hot for my pale Irish complexion. I think i'd prefer a nice little place on Ferenginar. The weather there is rubbish (its rain rain rain rain rain). Suits me better and house prices would be cheaper too.

This debacle is based on emotion, Charlatons taking advantage of the bereaved, and the love  Lorn.

I wish there was some way it can be made illegal, but it seems the relevant authorities couldn't care less,

that the  naive, and innocent dupes  are being taken in by these scams.

I think it's a disgusting practice, bordering on  criminal.

This debacle is based on emotion, Charlatons taking advantage of the bereaved, and the love  Lorn.

I wish there was some way it can be made illegal, but it seems the relevant authorities couldn't care less,

that the  naive, and innocent dupes  are being taken in by these scams.

I think it's a disgusting practice, bordering on  criminal.

I think it is up to the IAU to step in and take control of this situation. Then they (and only they) could sell/name stars. They would have to officially recognise and catelog every star (or a few hundred thousand at the very least), and only a certified stamped certificate from them would be legal. Easily forged i agree, but with a bit of investment they could take on some of the security measures used in the printing of bank notes. It might kick up the price a bit, but worth it IMHO.

I'm sure the IAU though are not in the least bit interested in doing this, so its an open market. I'm sure many stars have been sold off dozens of times by the same company to many different people.

I like the idea of it, i just think the practice should be regulated.

Is there any harm in it? The prices are not going to pauperise anybody that makes that choice.

It is a romantic guesture and about as exploitative as the restaurants that put prices way up on Valentine's Day.

Do we campaign to shut them down?

Thanks for that. I found this very interesting:

And already in our own Milky Way there may be millions of stars with planets whose inhabitants have equal or better rights than we to name 'their' star, just as humans have done with the Sun (which of course itself has different names in different languages).

Makes me wonder if the IAU know something we dont know or if they are just being "tongue in cheek".

Thanks for that. I found this very interesting:

And already in our own Milky Way there may be millions of stars with planets whose inhabitants have equal or better rights than we to name 'their' star, just as humans have done with the Sun (which of course itself has different names in different languages).

And yet we find it quite acceptable to call deutchland Germany or Gondwana land Australia....This arguement just doesn't float IMHO. People have been naming things they have no ownership of forever. No doubt, these inhabitants, if interested enough to look up, have a name for our star...I won't lose any sleep over it.

And yet we find it quite acceptable to call deutchland Germany or Gondwana land Australia....This arguement just doesn't float IMHO. People have been naming things they have no ownership of forever. No doubt, these inhabitants, if interested enough to look up, have a name for our star...I won't lose any sleep over it.

Good point.

You can name things as you wish, but it doesn't mean you own them.

On a similar train of thought...................maybe.

How in the world can companies sell us bottled tap water that has been filtered and packaged and sell it as "natural spring water"?. I bet you any money that if you went in search of any one of these natural springs................you would not find one.

I live in an area where the tap water is undrinkable due to heavy metals. I boil my tap water and let it go cold and then put it in the fridge. Its perfectly fine then.

On a similar train of thought...................maybe.

How in the world can companies sell us bottled tap water that has been filtered and packaged and sell it as "natural spring water"?. I bet you any money that if you went in search of any one of these natural springs................you would not find one.

I live in an area where the tap water is undrinkable due to heavy metals. I boil my tap water and let it go cold and then put it in the fridge. Its perfectly fine then.

Boiling the water will kill bacteria but it won't do anything to remove heavy metals.

If you do have heavy metal pollution then it is a serious matter that should be brought to the attention of the local authority and the water company.

a  group in a far off Country sold me all the objects in the Heavens years ago and at a bargain price....so , those of you who are making false claims will now require to pay me rent...

sooo, you see how stupid this is.....NO NO NO...its a scam....

the International Astronomic Union names  celestial objects , often after considerable deliberation.....Stars are NOT sentimental...and we should not be guillible...

Ok, I think this thread has run it's course. All members have a right to an opinion and a right to share it providing it is done so without offending others. A few posts have come very close (if not past) the point of being offencive. With that in mind, the thread is now closed.

Archived