SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First light with my new 414ex. Strange Darks.

Hi,

I am new to CCD imaging and tried my new Atik 414ex tonight. Lots of firsts, so all kinds of things could have gone wrong. In doing the RGB images, I noticed various light patches in every single sub, with all filters. I tried a dark, and got the same light patches:

gallery_37194_3584_166133.jpg

This looks like something is rather wrong to me - is this normal?

This calibrates out relatively successfully though and my first effort at processing is below (M67) but I am a bit worried my first CCD has something wrong with it.

4e750b6fcbac3b2e49d94b8df42bfcd1.1824x0_

Having slept on it I think you are right. As I was packing up last night I shone a torch at the rig to see how much clearance there was and then the dark image I was taking had a huge glow in it. Didn't think anything of it at the time. Seems a little weird that the glow could come from stray light, of which there is remarkably little as last night was very dark, but I will experiment today.

Will have a less tired go at processing as well. I should really have more patience and go to sleep more...

I have done some more testing and things are clearer. It is not light leakage after all.

I created a 10sec dark (scope cover on) using my MacBookPro and Nebulosity 3. Flares as per the image above. I then immediately connected to a Windows 7 box, and did another 10 sec capture using Artemis. No Flare. I then created a 10 sec dark using Nebulosity 3 on the Windows box. Again, no flares. It only seems to appear on the Mac version. Sigh.

I have done some more testing and things are clearer. It is not light leakage after all.

I created a 10sec dark (scope cover on) using my MacBookPro and Nebulosity 3. Flares as per the image above. I then immediately connected to a Windows 7 box, and did another 10 sec capture using Artemis. No Flare. I then created a 10 sec dark using Nebulosity 3 on the Windows box. Again, no flares. It only seems to appear on the Mac version. Sigh.

You're currently using my handy work.. but much earlier version.

Nebulosity Release Notes: 3.3.0

3.3.0 (1/11/15)

All updates from pre-releases 3.2.1 onward

- (3.2.3) Update for AOSX 16ICÕs ID code

- (3.2.2) Updated to Atik OSX r131

- (3.2.2) Mac: Let users specify ChipID for Atik 16IC cameras

3.2.0 (1/20/14)

--- Initial beta-level support of Atik cameras on OS X

- (3.1.9) Initial Atik Mac support (Thanks Nick and AOSX!)

So from this the driver that Craig is using for Nebulosity at the moment is R131 and not R145 which is the current one.

The problem here is that Nebulosity was built with 32bit 10.6. compatibility. The earliest that the current Apple development tools support is 10.9. Looking at the change log I think the last 10.6.8 build I did of the drivers was 1.31. I'll need to make a complete new install of OS X on the mac mini of 10.6.8, dev tools and then recreate the 10.6.8 environment.

I'll check to see if I can simply replace the R131 driver framework in Neb 3.. but it may not work... let me check.

edit: I've checked - the issue here is that Nebulosity is 32bit binary. R132 and later releases of the drivers are 64bit. So you can't just drop in the new driver frameworks.

Let me see if there's a quick way to create a 32bit driver..

Ok, the fast options to create a version didn't work.. so I'm now creating a 10.6.8 OS X install on a USB drive, do the updates and I'll then I'll try to install all the developer tools from that era (2009).. 

The problem is that non of the new hardware can run 10.6.8 without some rather dodgy pokes and prods. My mac mini is a 2009 machine so it will work as long as all the updates etc are still available.

However I think 10.6.8 and 32bit support days are numbered for most places that still support it.. 

I don't think that the update will solve your problem.. however I've tested R1.45 with my 414EX.. so I know that works!

My thinking here is to create a compatible 32bit version of R145 frameworks that should just slot into the Nebulosity 3 application frameworks directory.. fingers crossed.

Cool,thanks Nick. I have upgraded to Mavericks, so this is all 10.9.5, but a first gen Core Duo Mac, so 64 bit capable.

Yup - however it's linking with the Nebulosity application binary that's the issue. It's still build for 10.6 as 32bit.. OS X can run both 32bit and 64bit binaries. Craig will probably move away from it in future no doubt but for now it's the only way to resolve the problem.

Matt, don't do darks on the scope. Atik supply a chunky metal screw-on cover partly to ensure you get dark darks. The cover will also block many potential gamma ray strikes. That cover is an excellent bit of kit and really is worth using. I know your issue seems to be software related but even so I'd make a darks library under perfect conditions - with that cover on. I have tried darks in the dark on a covered scope and they don't work. A subtraction test shows them not to be the same as cover-on darks.

Olly

Interesting about the darks, thanks, will dismantle and make myself a little dark library.

Nick, you are forcing me to keep my vintage MBP in the running as my astro machine of choice. I can only thank you for your efforts and promise to buy you a beer if our paths ever cross.

Hi.. so after much faffing about I have a 10.6.8 build, I have swapped the frameworks out in Neb3.2.2 however I'm immediately getting a device disconnected from my 383L and 414EX. Now considering that 90% of the driver is shared between the C++ one that's used in TheSkyX... that's probably down to some oddity. I've sent the drivers to Craig and asked him to create a new version of Nebulosity that I can test with.

The Example App works with the same driver but on OS X 10.10 .. unless *lightbulb* I can use an earlier version and then swap out the drivers..

Interesting about the darks, thanks, will dismantle and make myself a little dark library.

Nick, you are forcing me to keep my vintage MBP in the running as my astro machine of choice. I can only thank you for your efforts and promise to buy you a beer if our paths ever cross.

Hi Matt,

I even take the Bias off the scope with the plug on the CCD.

A.G

Archived