Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

PEC train my mount with with my DSLR ?

Paul-F

I have been at this AP for a few weeks now :) And wish to PEC train my mount now as the lost subs is starting to annoying me a bit as I lose about half of my 2 minute subs. Before I go to guiding I'll try some PEC to see if I can improve on that. What I have is a Nikon DSLR and I am hoping that I can use that to train the LDX75 mount.

Is this possible ? What software do I need ? I tried PHD using but I don't seem to be able to connect to the camera ...

I have been at this AP for a few weeks now :) And wish to PEC train my mount now as the lost subs is starting to annoying me a bit as I lose about half of my 2 minute subs. Before I go to guiding I'll try some PEC to see if I can improve on that. What I have is a Nikon DSLR and I am hoping that I can use that to train the LDX75 mount.

Is this possible ? What software do I need ? I tried PHD using but I don't seem to be able to connect to the camera ...

I think that all that stuff is for EQ mounts, from your signature it appears that you have an AltAZ mount but I maybe wrong.

A.G

• 2 months later...

Hi, I was wondering the same thing. 

Being a student, i don't have a budget right now. But I have an AVX mount with a 6 inch and a Canon 60D.

Thing is, I can only get around 13 seconds before trailing becomes evident. I have done 60 seconds, but then about half the frames show significant trailing. I suspect I have a really bad case of periodic error. 

So, would it work to get a livefeed from the DSLR, use that in PHD, and somehow relay the tracking corrections back to the mount with a cable. I have a USB to RS-232 connector cable but the 232 to jack that came with the mount is to small and has only 4 pins where 6 is needed for the autoguider port. Can I bypass this problem by providing the PEC directly to the NexStar+ controller?

Archived