Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I've become a man

Siege

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hiya Siege!

I too am a newbie to the skies, I didn't realise what could be seen through a telescope, I thought I'd just see bigger white dots, then when I looked at Jupiter for the first time a couple of weeks ago, it blew me away! Welcome to SGL!

Andy

Thanks to all for the warm welcome to the lounge and for the tips. I enjoyed reading everyone's messages.

I named my telescope after Neil deGrasess Tyson who served as a stepping stone to my fascination with the universe.

Hello Siege (and Neil  ... )  [you seem to have a lot of us talking to your telescope!]

Welcome to the hobby and to SGL.  I recall my first interest in the night sky being aroused by my father when I was very young, showing me the "seven sisters", the plough and polaris.  But what blew me away when I first saw it through a telescope, was Jupiter and the Galilean moons.  Within a few days, I had bought my own telescope!

Have fun, enjoy your present - it is much better than my first 'scope!

Clear skies to you ...

Hi and welcome Siege. Collimation is critical to get the best views in your scope. You should check out Omega Centauri and 47 Tucanae - showpiece globular clusters that our northern friends are not lucky enough to be able to see :-). In fact I haven't had a chance to see the second one from my location in Ethiopia. Nice when owning a telescope allows you to declare "I have become a man"...

Hello Siege, 
Welcome to a kindred spirit - I have also just opened my birthday present early and am now a Vintage Orange C8 groupie... although I haven't named it yet as I'm not yet sure, but I'm tending to think she's a she. 

For me this is the second telescope I have owned but my first was lost in the mists of my youth, so to answer your question I am counting my first view through my C8 last weekend... Jupiter as I've never seen it before! Magnificent even though it was through high haze and lots of Light Pollution in an urban garden. 

Nothing like as impressive as fancy pictures - but just to know that those photons had come from the sun, bounced off Jupiter and had just landed in my eye... Wow!

Archived