Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Is the Flame nebula easier to see than the Orion nebula?

pipnina

In orders of difficulty I'd rate M42 easy (naked-eye fuzz), Flame (N2024) difficult whilst B33 Horsehead extremely difficult under perfectly clear/dark skies. I never seen the HH but its easy to snap (just) in 5sec exposure with my super speed Lodestar here in London :-)

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bish, transparency is key. Have a few nebulae to check. Sometimes those clear dark nights are not as transparent as they seem and vice versa.

Cheers

PEterW

This is frustratingly true. I managed a trip to a dark site (doesn't happen too often!). No real cloud, stars shining brightly - but DSO's like the flame were wiped out by the moisture.

show off ;)

After Olly and Tom's recent 400hr Orion image, that flame nebula is anything but showing off. In fact I am rather upset with it.

Olly go sit on the naughty step for 10 and think about what you have done.

Just kidding. The Flame nebula is in Orion,right?. I dont know why but every time i read the name i think of the flaming star nebula which is in Auriga. The flaming star in Auriga is pretty easy with OIII filter.

Archived