Greetings

sungrazer

So, after 20 years in the wilderness I have decided to boldly go at it again, albeit this time with more than just pocket money at my disposal!

FLO have been great, can't fault Astronomia either.  I'm now decked out with:

- Nexstar 6SE w/Astrozap shield & 17ah PT.

- 2x barlow, 25mm Plossl, 9mm Celestron XCelLX EP's

- Thermos flask

After much faffing around with Celestrons SkyAlign (ended up nominating stars manually), last night yielded Jupiter + 3 moons (I assume one was behind J) w/EQ belts, very nice with 80A filter applied (anyone know when GRS is coming round?).  Clouds spoiled any further fun  :sad: .

But.....

Light pollution is astromonical, if you'll pardon the pun.  I'm located just west of Crawley in West Sussex, so there's that and Gatwick Airport to deal with!  If anyone can recommend a decent dark site in West Sussex I'd be grateful!  Also any hints or tips on Nexstar operation?

Clear skies all....

SG

Hi SG and welcome!

Hope you are enjoying the 6SE! I started off with an 8SE and really enjoyed using it. In addition to the PowerTank (essential) and dewshield I also did the following mods which you might consider for the 6SE:

- replaced the RDF with a RACI finder to save my back

- used an illuminated crosshair EP to help with centring

- replaced the screws in the secondary cover with Bobs Knobs to help with collimation

I think with this scope you also need to understand backlash to improve alignment and tracking. For example, when centring a star during alignment it's recommended that you approach the star in a specific direction (I forget the details, it's been a while since I used the mount!)

Regards

John

Hi SG and welcome

I am new to this and have started with the 5SE, i had similar issues when i started, but you seem to be getting on top of them, the power tank is essential.

There is a website that you may find helpful, www.nexstarsite.com/NUG.htm , it is a bit dated but provides more detailed info on Nexstar scopes. THe guy also does a book, which i have just purchased, only arrived last night so cant comment other to say it is comprehensive. (Bit of a con really, Celestron should provide more detailed guides in the first place in my view...)

Good luck.

Archived