Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from New York

bmtta2003

Hi everyone. I'm happy to see so many new members at this site. It makes me feel more welcome. So many of you are from colder climates it makes me feel sort of wimpy. While here in the north east of the U.S. it has been especially cold,  it usually doesn't last long. What is the coldest temperature (in F if you know it. If not i'll do the conversion from C), you have ever braved to set up your scope and sky watch.

For background info:

I'm a beginner just learning some useful constellations to navigate.

I'm mostly interested in planetary observation, but enjoy a good nebula.

I have an Orion 130 st with 10 and 25 mm lenses (If any one has this scope what is your favorite combination of lenses?)

Bye for now, hope to hear from many of you soon.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to the forum. The coldest temperature for me was -2C but I have to be honest it wasn't for long though I did grow a few hairs on my back - I must have some mammoth in my genes!  :grin:

Clear skies and hope you enjoy your stay here

Hi Bmtta and welcome to SGL, we have a very large membership now from your side of the pond, and I don`t doubt someone will be greeting you before long.

Temperatures in my region of the East of the UK can deliver up to 15° of frost and even more in very exposed areas, but that is in extreme conditions. Over a normal winter it fluctuates with figures much higher, so we are fortunate and don`t get 2m of snow dumped on us like you just have in the USA. enjoy your scope :)  

Hi and welcome from Montreal, Canada!. Well, I understand your fillings about the weather....here, the winter has been extreme last 2 months. My last serious observation was in December, at -15°C.....and I tried,hard, but impossible for more than an hour, to sketch Orion's sword through my binoculars at -25°C......and that was my coldest temperature...... After that, I confirmed to myself that -15. °C was my maximum. -20 °C for no more than 45 min, but -15 °C could be my beat bet to seriously enjoy and make a decent report

Archived