Hello

Stivius

I'm Stephen 38 and live in Co.down, and at the moment i'm tormented by clouds and streetlights. I used to observe with an old pair of binoculars when i was a kid, always since then i'd intended to get a small scope but life, beer, the wife, kids and work always got in the way.

So last spring i picked up a little Celestron Astromaster 130eq on sale and set about trying to learn how to use it. I soon however realized the two EP i had weren't up to much so picked up a few new ones and swapped out what i can only say was the not very useful mount and tripod for a skywatcher eq3-2 mount a telrad and the day after the telrad an A4 sheet of closed cell foam for a telrad dew shield.  Been mainly trying to remember my way around the sky for the last few months picked up a phillips skymap and lunar map and have been grabbing a couple of hours here and there trying to get used to the equipment. (Your site i have found has been an invaluable help so i figured i should at least sign up and say thanks for the hints and pointers)

Hi Stephen and welcome to SGL, learning the night sky does not come easy to those not accustomed to staring skywards, little but as often as you can, soon pointer stars and Constellations will begin register with you, pick all those that are circumpolar to start with, as you see them every night thought the seasons, enjoy :)

Archived