picture of a star

mikey_gray

Hi my name is Michael, i was given a star as a present from someone who ment a great deal to me that i have recently lost. I can see the star with the naked eye so i know it is there, what i was wondering if it would be possible to have it photographed so i can enlarge it onto a canvas. I have the co ordinates also. If anyone in the Aberdeen area is able to help or even if your not it would be very much appreciated.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello, and a warm welcome to SGL Michael.

You should have a certificate, or some otjher document containing the information necessary 

to locate the Star. It should have coordinates in    RA, (Right Ascension) and Dec. (Declination).

If you post those numbers on the forum with your request for an image to taken, then Someone will oblige.

MIkeObrien has  already indicated that he will take  a picture for you.

Can I just add though, stars are so distant from us on earth, they never appear as anything but points of light, and will not enlarge,

however much you blow them up. 

Just so you  don't feel disappointed with the result.

Best Wishes.

Ron.

Hi Michael and welcome to the forum !

Do not hesitate to post the coordinates, I am sure that you will get replies (I know I will) and a lot of pictures to choose from ;)

Clear skies

Hi my name is Michael, i was given a star as a present from someone who ment a great deal to me that i have recently lost. I can see the star with the naked eye so i know it is there, what i was wondering if it would be possible to have it photographed so i can enlarge it onto a canvas. I have the co ordinates also. If anyone in the Aberdeen area is able to help or even if your not it would be very much appreciated.

Michael,  What a great gift - could you post the details please - I might like to do the same of a friend.  Happy to attempt an image - but I fear that there are other who will have far superior equipment than  I.  Happy to give it a go though.

Thank you all so much for your replies. the coordinates are RA:5h17m36.4s DEC -6`50m40.0s

Thank you all again

mikey

According to Stellarium it is Tau Orionis (τ Ori, τ Orionis) a 3.55 magnitude star in the constellation Orion, 495 l.y. away.... Visually 'close' to Rigel

It is number HIP 24674 in the Hipparcos catalogue

Hello Mikey,

"According to Stellarium it is Tau Orionis (τ Ori, τ Orionis) a 3.55 magnitude star in the constellation Orion, 495 l.y. away.... Visually 'close' to Rigel, it is number HIP 24674 in the Hipparcos catalogue"

Vox45 has it correctly identified - in the constellation of Orion, just above and to the left of Rigel.

Thank you all so much for your help, i have recieved alot of information that i also did not know,  and it has totally opened my eyes to just how amazing our sky actually are.

On that note, what would be a good suggestion for someone new starting out?

There is a lot of enjoyment in just looking up and learning the constellations and names of stars. For that you will just need the sky map in the middle of an astronomy magazine (and preferrably some dark skies :-) ). A pair of 8x50 binoculars will then open up a whole range of objects.

Archived