Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Where best to mount guide scope

Garethr

Hi all,

Any recommendations as where is the best place to mount the guide scope.

I'm using a SW 9x50 finder scope with qhy5 cam. At the moment it is fitted to the finderscope mount but this seems a) not solid as it's utilising the rubber ring and spring with 2 screws and B) right at the top of the scope

I have a set of rings and spare dovetail bar would I be better mounting this on top of the scope?

Scope is sw200p on modded eq5 mount so I am right on my limits once the cannon is added to the focuser.

I fitted a bar on top of the main scope tube rings (not a dovetail, just a thin but rigid flat steel bar). I guess you could use aluminium to keep the weight down. Mine is a ST80 though, so a little bigger, but I don't see why it wouldn't work with a guidescope.

Might be over doing it a bit, but you won't know until you try!

I don't know what is considered a good amount of variation in PHD2, but I am usually within 1°. 

All depends on what you are after. You should be able to get sensible results, but the next step might be a bigger mount :D

Although it worked at first, I latterly found a little bit of flexure when using the Finderscope bracket, so I searched everywhere for a small set of guide rings and just couldn't find any small enough in the UK.  Ended up ordering some small ones from the USA.

It's now mounted in these small guide rings on an aluminium bar and rock solid.

Finderguider%2Bmounted%2B2.jpg

There is a post over on the DIY astronomer where someone made their own guide rings by ordering some aluminium pipe (ready cut) off Ebay. Might be worth taking a look over there.

Another option would be Astroboot, but I dont know how small you would need the rings to be in order to use them.

Cheers all.

Well had a dig around and found a couple of mounting rings and changed the mounting location to the top of the scope.

Balance seems ok and all feels more rigid so fingers crossed. Cloudy now so no chance to test

post-32109-0-10961500-1424298069_thumb.j

Rings look a bit OTT though,

Just managed to pick up a couple of pipe clips and a short length of studding from work so will try to improve and save a bit of weight tonight.

Clips similar to those shown on a thread here somewhere. (cant find it now) 

Will post a pic when done

post-32109-0-61693100-1424433927.jpg

Archived