Narrowband

1 1/4 inch eyepieces.

I am getting a Meade 6 inch SCT in a few days.I would like to use 1 1/4 inch eyepieces.I have the Pentax xf 8.5 and 12mm. Also a Celestron 15mm Luminos. I missed out on a Televue 32mm plossl recently. But what other brands of 1 1/4 inch eyepieces are there in the 20,25 and 30mm range that would be of good quality?

The 30mm Vixen NPL plossl is pretty good. I've compared it to a 32mm Tele Vue plossl and the only difference was some slight astigmatism when used in my F/5.3 dobsonian. In an F/10 SCT that will not be an issue.

Fortunately most eyepieces will work well in an F/10 scope so things like the 24mm Hyperion could be worth considering. It's 68 degree field shows as much sky as a 32mm plossl.

The 24mm Maxvision or Meade SWA as it was, would be a hard act to better in an F10 scope and not massively expensive. I reviewed the 24mm Meade against a Tele-Vue 24mm Panoptic in an F 10 scope, it is in the Equipment section if you want to read it.

Alan

Maxvision 24mm 68 deg new costs 60 odd quid and its a steal.Cant go wrong with that EP in your F10 scope. I have a pair of them and tested them the other night with binoviewers and i am actually very impressed with performance of this EP.Yes there is a slight astigmatism on the outer 5% edge and a very slight field curvature,but by all means it is not off putting and i did actually enjoy the views this EP provided.Also the 24mm 68 deg will give you the same FOV as 30 or 32mm plossl.

Others to consider wold be:as John mentioned Baader Hyperion,as Alan mentioned Meade SWA and TV Panoptic,I would add also the ExSc 24 mm 68 deg.All these will work beautifully in your 6" SCT.

Hi Martin,

Hope all good your end. The sct is very forgiving with large f ratio. When I had the 10" lx 200 one of my favourite EPs was the 30 mm moonfish. The vixen EPs have a good reputation, and I still have as a keeper a celestron 32mm super plossl.

Best Regards

Archived