Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

MAK 127 Focus advise

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Might be wrong but i dont think its an easy job to fit a crayford to the 127, a little tip is to get a plastic milk bottle top and cut a hole in the centre so the top slips over the focus shaft so giving you a larger wheel to turn more slowly simple but it works

I fitted flexible twiddly bits to all mine (those things must have a proper name?), the adjustment rate is the same but it makes the whole thing just easier to do, and that ease gives better results. Also means you can leave gloves on if it is really cold.

Don't think you can fit a sort of crayford and diagonal; to one as there would seem to just not be the correct distances. Although I suppose if someone made a custom one it may be possible.

Also no doubt someone will post a link saying "One of these?" happens all the time, say this as I am not sure you cannot.

May go search "crayford for SCT"

Hey all :)
i have a MAK 127... and i have heard that most MAK owners have the same problem .... Focus :( what can i do to improve this? i thought about a Crayford focuser but don't know which one to look at, or is there a cheaper alternative??? 

There are two different issues with focusing here. 1- How to tweak the focus knob physically to gain proper focus 2- Knowing that you are at best focus .

There are a couple of solutions for point 1 as indicated by the previous posts, for number 2  perhaps a Bahtinov might be of some use.

A.G

• 2 years later...

hello to everybody

I just bought this 

127Skymax SupaTrack

I wish to improve him, and I need a good plan/sugestions for :

1. vibration compensation

2. a module with gps, wifi conected to the internet/mobile phone

3. eye piece recommendation for maximum multiplication

4. a normal finder scope, not reversed one as is supplied

5. focus enhancement

6. another tripod

I did not take the synscan system and now I am regretting, and I hope I will find one.

Thank you for any help/ideas

54 minutes ago, Rafalle said:

1. vibration compensation

2. a module with gps, wifi conected to the internet/mobile phone

3. eye piece recommendation for maximum multiplication

4. a normal finder scope, not reversed one as is supplied

5. focus enhancement

6. another tripod

I did not take the synscan system and now I am regretting, and I hope I will find one.

1: You should have bought a C5 SE Nexstar or equivalent, which has a stiffer tripod.:happy11:  It will help a bit if you use the tripod at mimimim leg extension, or hang a weight from the eyepiece tray.

3: I suggest an 8mm Plossl, or whatever you like.

4: I don't know what you mean. Is it an optical or red dot, and did you fit it the right way round? I bought a 6x30 Sky-watcher finder for my 127mm Mak.

5: Suggestions in previous posts, but I wouldn't bother if I were you.

6: See 1. You can't fit another tripod to the mount - your only hope is to put the scope on a different mount/tripod.

Synscan: AFAIK you can simply buy the Synscan handset, and you'll have a Synscan. :icon_biggrin:  It will cost around £100. 

C5 it is twice the money!

8 mm it is a very sensible to any vibration, I will be very surprised to use below 12-15 mm

I can not make the right orientation on Polar Star because I have a wall in that side of sky, so I need a GPS system or something based on wi-fi internet.

SynScan it is a solution, but a limited one!

I will try, if anybody has for sale the synscan V3 or V4 just let me know

11 hours ago, Rafalle said:

I can not make the right orientation on Polar Star because I have a wall in that side of sky, so I need a GPS system or something based on wi-fi internet.

My Mak is good with an 8mm eyepiece, on a suitable mounting, or if I avoid jogging the original one.

Could you post a photograph of your kit, or a link to a trade page? I assumed you had a Mak on the alt-azimuth Supatrak mount.  I looked up a review - if you can't see North you could use a compass, or use the time to find out when a bright star is due South, and use that. Mark the ground so that you don't have to do this every time. The alignment and tracking with a Synscan will be superior.

A peg helps a lot. If you want something more "blingy" then one of those coloured oversized pegs you get from a stationery store for use as paper holders.

Whatever, be it a peg or a cap with a hole in it, you just need a larger lever than the piddling little knob gives you. (yes, I fiddled with the basic knob for ages before pinching a peg from madame's washing line)

David

There is another issue associated with soft focus and that's the collimation. Don't forget to check it. I used a 7mm with mine and would tweak the collimation quite often. Then I discovered storing the mak in the same orrientation as I most often used it helped it keep its collimation. They were also know to have a turned edge so I stopped mine down by about 8mm this also helped I also flocked it. At least all of these little things add up when at high power. It gave great views of the moon and planets.

For the record I had a semi skimmed bottle top.

MY MODULE

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/maksutov/skywatcher-skymax-127-supatrak.html

I am planning to buy this :

SynScan V4, it may be a compatibility problem with my platform!

https://www.telescopehouse.com/v-4-synscan-flash-upgradeable-handset.html?gclid=CKbbgsnux9QCFU2x7QodmoED6A

In the end I can buy another tripod with computer unit and gps!

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 18:12, Rafalle said:

If you repost this as a new thread you may get more answers to your questions.  They get away with charging a premium price for the SW handset so??? I don't know what that zoom eyepiece is like. I thought of buying a zoom till I read reviews which disclosed that the various offerings were either rubbish or very expensive. And had small fields of view at low power, exactly where you'd want the field to be wider.

The combination SynScan and GPS does not help me too much.

You need to make 2-3 star lock setting

Anybody try the starsense on MAK 127 Supatrack?

Celestron StarSense Accessory for Sky-Watcher Mounts

13 hours ago, Rafalle said:

Anybody try the starsense on MAK 127 Supatrack?

I suspect that this might work ( but check with a dealer and get it in writing). And you do realize that Starsense for Sky-watcher costs around £400? Which must be more than your kit cost in the first place?

13 hours ago, Rafalle said:

You need to make 2-3 star lock setting

Yes, I imagine you would need to do a 2 or 3 star align. That's how a Synscan works. I'm not sure what point you are trying to make. Could you explain?  If you want totally automatic alignment you need a Starsense or equivalent system. The Starsense is expensive and not all users get along with it.  And if you do the alignment yourself you are saving several hundred pounds. :happy11:

Archived