Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What can the Skywatcher Evostar ED80 do for me?

MattJenko

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/11/2015 at 18:20, topgearuk said:

My few attempts with the ED80 plus F/F

M42 taken a couple nights ago, the other images from over a year ago.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

awesome what camera did you use cheers

Guys this thread has been absolutely eye opening. I was convinced my new scope set up (within the next calender year) was going to be a Celestron SCT 9.25 as it's a good all rounder for solar system objects and deep space but seeing what the Evostar 80 is capable of my head has been turned. I was always under the impression Refractors are not ideal for deep space object photography but I'm reconsidering. Please share your thoughts on this dilemma with me.....

On 5/22/2016 at 13:16, Adaaam75 said:

Guys this thread has been absolutely eye opening. I was convinced my new scope set up (within the next calender year) was going to be a Celestron SCT 9.25 as it's a good all rounder for solar system objects and deep space but seeing what the Evostar 80 is capable of my head has been turned. I was always under the impression Refractors are not ideal for deep space object photography but I'm reconsidering. Please share your thoughts on this dilemma with me.....

I would suggest refractors are arguably the best instrument for amateurs to image the night sky for dsos. The SCT you suggest is a lovely scope, but not ideal for DSO imaging because of its very large focal length with corresponding narrow field of view and all the guiding hassles that come with that. Newtonians are a good alternative to refractors, but for pure ease of use and performance, a decent doublet like the ED80 is pretty hard to beat for the cost.

• 3 weeks later...

I am totally impressed with the 80ed and heq5. I can't for my payday to get it. One thing I like of refractors is that they give nice circular stars and not the spiked ones which the reflector gives. 

Varad 

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 2/17/2015 at 10:12, MattJenko said:

There are a some threads highlighting the capabilities of some of the more affordable AP setups (130PDS, RC6), so I thought I would start one for what is one of the most recommended AP startup kits: the HEQ5 mount with a Skywatcher Evostar 80ED DS-Pro. 650 Focal length, so F7.5. With the dedicated 0.85 flattener, this gives a very forgiving F6.38. It is rock solid on the HEQ5 and is a pleasure to use. It would be nice if people posted their ED80 images to show people getting into AP exactly what this humble equipment can do and just why it is such a recommended setup.

I use a modded Canon 450D, and with the considerable help and support of this forum, here are some of the images that I have obtained with this special gear in my first year of using it.

483f2ddd3447ac259c39346604477a96.1824x0_

I was very impressed with this one in particular because I would have thought such a magnified view of Jupiter would be beyond the limits of a 80mm aperture?  Would you mind telling me how you achieved this image? Afocally perhaps?  Would love to get this kind of image with my ed80.

1 hour ago, scitmon said:

I was very impressed with this one in particular because I would have thought such a magnified view of Jupiter would be beyond the limits of a 80mm aperture?  Would you mind telling me how you achieved this image? Afocally perhaps?  Would love to get this kind of image with my ed80.

It was taken with an ASI120M camera and a Baader x2.25 barlow, and a LOT of extension tubes :), so done direct, not through an eyepiece. 

• 1 year later...

Archived