SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What can the Skywatcher Evostar ED80 do for me?

MattJenko

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought I give this post another bump. I found it a great inspiration to see what people do with what is basically a "beginner's scope". This is a image of the eta Carina nebula taken with a Baader UHC-S filter (60x60sec; ISO1600).

post-39098-0-28599700-1430491575_thumb.j

To all SW80ED users - Keep it coming! :grin:

Very nice! I just bought myself a baader uhc-s filter but I haven't had the chance to use it yet as I can't figure out a way to fit it into my current setup without the reducer/flattener (which I am saving for right now!) I hoped it would work somehow but no luck :(

@hjw - that is really lovely. The Southern hemisphere gets a lot of the sky goodies! Here are a few northern images with my ED80 you probably can't get from down there, all with an Atik 414ex.

The Iris Nebula in Cephus.

242c770f75c2519301faaf2c5277bbbd.1824x0_

The Whirlpool Galaxy in Ursa Major:

c59620dbab3aabacbeeb20f2c302f98c.1824x0_

M103 in Cassiopeia:

1e1ec2f249be96c760390bccf244b79d.1824x0_

And M81, part of a double with the Cigar which sadly did not fit on my chip:

97698f2765027b45264172283d13a320.1824x0_

Very nice! I just bought myself a baader uhc-s filter but I haven't had the chance to use it yet as I can't figure out a way to fit it into my current setup without the reducer/flattener (which I am saving for right now!) I hoped it would work somehow but no luck :(

What is your setup and where does it not fit in?  Maybe we can help?

@hjw - that is really lovely. The Southern hemisphere gets a lot of the sky goodies!...

Nice images. I really like your galaxies. I am struggling with them. I might have to put them aside until I get a guided setup :sad: . In a couple of month Sagittarius region will come above the tree line. Can't wait.

Sorry Matt, I missed your post!

I did just have the standard dslr bits that came with the ed80 kit to connect my camera and I hoped the filter would fit in there somewhere but it only fits into the diagonal, or the eyepiece.

It's not a problem now though (I hope!) as I've just ordered the fr/ff and the flo adapter and t ring :))

Can't wait for it to arrive - shame the weather looks bad for a while though!

Gary.

• 2 weeks later...

Not had much space time with my ED80 of late. I have been helping set up an imaging system for my local astro society, but did sneak a couple of hours this week on the Sunflower Galaxy. This passed pretty much directly overhead and was a tricky one to track and all the L subs had trails, so I still need to work at it. The image is from 2 hours total RGB subs.

f0061fe6af71d6ef9ae5c3d7cc37ca44.1824x0_

• 5 weeks later...

Had to post this image here as well, it is by far my best effort with the ED80. I can't explain how much I like this scope, unbelievable what a mere 8cm can do!

This is ngc6888, the Crescent. 20 x 20 min Ha, 19 x 20 min Oiii and 20 x 1 min RGB for the stars. All shot during a full moon week!

9e93d87395b270fe6ca375c82b67f6aa.1824x0_

Had to post this image here as well, it is by far my best effort with the ED80. I can't explain how much I like this scope, unbelievable what a mere 8cm can do!

This is ngc6888, the Crescent. 20 x 20 min Ha, 19 x 20 min Oiii and 20 x 1 min RGB for the stars. All shot during a full moon week!

Lovely image!

Thanks Matt,

Am being drawn more and more to the ED80.

Also, (on another topic!) whats all this about a dew shield?  I am assuming, they are important?

Cheers,

Mark

What can the Skywatcher Evostar ED80 do for me today?

So, as my question almost matches the name of this tread, i tink it's appropiate to ask it here.

I live in Norway at latitude +- 59.5. Not shure how it's like in the UK but there are members here from many parts of the world.

What i'm wondering is what coud i image with the ED80 today? As you probably know from the latitude THERE ARE NO NIGHTS for a while.

I was imaging with my ST80 as a beginners scope the second half of this winter, but had to take a pause to fininsh my bachelor.

My plan has always been to buy a better scope and use the ST80 for a guidescope. I was thinking of a 8" Newt, but by folowing this thread the last months, i really like the ED80.

Buing a telescope always make a dent i a budget, and i was wondering if i bought it now is there anything i could image or would i be better of waiting a month or two?

I would think the moon is possible, but i'm guessing nothing else? (Moving futher south is not an option right now :)  )

PS, if someone has a link to a "daylight calculator" where i could see exactly when normal imaging is possible, i would appreciate it :)

.....I would think the moon is possible, but i'm guessing nothing else?

Sun, Moon, Venus, Mercury, & Jupiter. OK, so Mercury is hard to find in daylight, but it can be done. Saturn is a bit pointless, being so low. Venus & Jupiter are easily spotted. Sun spots with a white light fitler, and before you know it, the darker nights will be coming in again.

Sun, Moon, Venus, Mercury, & Jupiter. OK, so Mercury is hard to find in daylight, but it can be done. Saturn is a bit pointless, being so low. Venus & Jupiter are easily spotted. Sun spots with a white light fitler, and before you know it, the darker nights will be coming in again.

So there is some fun to be had :)

Kan i use the same t-ring that i used with the ST80, and just get a larger kamera adapter "the little treaded tube that screws into the t-ring and fits in the eyepeace"?

I have decided to get the .85x Reducer/Flattener. Does it screw on to the t-ring or do i need the camera adapter?

For the reducer, you need the T-ring to M48 adaptor, not just a T-ring. http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reducersflatteners/skywatcher-dslr-m48-ring-adapter.html

As it is a frac, you can do all manner of Solar things with it. I bought a simple Baader file cover for a few quid and in my first outing took this : 

fb06b853eca7ebea893a0ccd93010c3e.620x0_q

I am counting the days until I can afford a Quark (there are a lot of days in this particular countdown :) ).

The scope has a dewshield on it already (non retractable), but I use heated dew bands to prevent fogging up.

Nice. The m48 ring wasn't expecive so i'll get one of those.

If you like solar you can have a look in my rehersal for the march 20. total eclipse. It was compleately clouded on march 20. so my rehersal was kind of pointless.

Kind of sad, but i wached the eclipse streamed live from Longyearbyen in Svalbard.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bx0H87uxM0zZY2FvaDhvNzZvUTQ&usp=sharing

Think it's possible to view the timelapse in your browser :)

Just one question. Fogging up is a problem when the temperature changes while imaging?

All my imaging sessions has been in sub zero © temperatures, with little or none temperaturechange during imaging, and i've never had an issue whit fogging.

I do have a habit placing my gear outside atleast 2-3 hours before starting callibrating, so that may have helped.

The UK spring and autumn are dew filled and things dew up rapidly. Without a dew band, I would be using a hairdryer or packing up within an hour or so. I don't imaging that is a problem at sub zero temps, frosting would be the concern.

I see. Then i'll probably need one of those when autumn comes.

Probably going to write a mail to FLO and ask about shipping to Norway.

The stores around here only got the ED80 as a kit with a lot of things i don't need.

Hopefully i can poste some new ED80 images here in a while :)

Hi Matt, and all ED80 owners, (and those thinking of buying one) :)

Only just come across this thread, and have to say, there are some fantastic images here, taken with this brilliant scope.

I'm afraid these light nights, are very frustrating, and I can't wait for dark winter nights to come back. Sorry all you Solar lovers. ;)

I have to say this thread,is very inspiring, I'm only dabbling with imaging at the moment, using a Canon 1200D and more recently a 700D, I'm in the progress of saving for a ZWO Asi120 mm, which means, lots more things to learn.

Anyway here are a few of my images. Good and bad!!.but I really love this hobby/Pastime, and look forward to learning more from this thread in the future. Cheers everyone , Clear skies. :)

post-35627-0-07506000-1435008863.jpg

post-35627-0-53188700-1435008888_thumb.j

post-35627-0-67057600-1435008919_thumb.j

post-35627-0-99447000-1435008967_thumb.j

post-35627-0-07848200-1435008997_thumb.j

post-35627-0-09324400-1435009039.jpg

post-35627-0-63809100-1435009062.jpg

post-35627-0-18680600-1435009732_thumb.j

post-35627-0-78221500-1435009768_thumb.j

post-35627-0-37968900-1435009870_thumb.j

post-35627-0-98722800-1435009914_thumb.j

post-35627-0-97500500-1435009968_thumb.j

Hi guys,

amazing images!!  I've got an Orion ED80 and a manual equatorial mount, with an electronic drive, and a Canon 40D (unmodded) ....  I don't have a guide-scope but I've got a right-angled 9x 50 finder ....  All these images are so beautiful and inspiring, but can I really produce anything like them with my 'very basic' set-up?  What about Jupiter and Saturn?  I really want to give imaging a try now that I've seen what an ED80 can do, but I really doubt that I'll succeed so spectacularly as all you guys have done!  And I'm really not sure I'll ever get to grips with a CCD!!  A DSLR is challenging enough for me so far!! LOL  By the way, Matt, what's an 'ASI120M'? 

All the best,

Donaldo :D

Archived