Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

gnomus

Ian King?

Olly have you got this bit right. (Yes, we used (and still use) the standard Mesu pier. Here it is with Yves, its original owner. I tailored the observatory around this rig.)

OR is it ,(Yes, we used (and still use) the standard Mesu pier. Here it is with Yves, its original owner. I tailored the observatory around him as he was doing the 400 hours imaging at the time.

• Like 2

Things are moving ahead slowly.  I need to make a decision about whether or not to have lower sides on the shed.  I have been out in the garden with hose-pipe (to mark out the proposed observatory floor) and a kids football goals (to simulate the height of the walls).  With my tripod at full extension I can see most of the sky over the "walls".  However, I am wondering if I might be able to sit down to observe if I were to drop the height of the pier somewhat.  In that case, it may be helpful to have lower walls.  

What sort of height do people have their piers set at in their observatories?  Is there a standard?  My tripod at full height goes to around 50" to the plate that the mount sits on.  I generally have it at full extension.  

Incidentally, I will not be using Ian King.  Would it be better to start a different thread?

I bought a pier of these guys and found them to be spot on. Really nice people to deal with. Jaspal Chadha has one of their obsys....maybe drop him a line?

Thank you Zakalwe.  I have also found them to be very pleasant so far.  I have contacted the user you suggested.

• Like 1

I work my pier out my setting  every thing up and move it to park ,my sides are 6ft so if the roof will go over it in park at 90dec  that will do , if it start to rain all you have to do is park at 90 and close roof.

IF its any good to you I call them and see if I can have a look round its under 10 miles from me.

That is extremely generous of you to offer.  But there is no need.  The user that Zakalwe recommended has already PMed me with a glowing report.

I work my pier out my setting  every thing up and move it to park ,my sides are 6ft so if the roof will go over it in park at 90dec  that will do , if it start to rain all you have to do is park at 90 and close roof.

My CGEM has a "home position" that I think I can set so that it goes horizontal.  My concern is that, first day in my new observatory I will slew to some object low in the sky and find myself gazing at a pine shed wall!!!

As I think I said, I usually have my tripod set at full height, but this gives no opportunity for sitting down.  I hope to be able to find a height where I can sit down (at least some of the time).  I'll do some more experimenting by setting my tripod up at different heights.  I was hoping that someone might have already done that experimenting for me.

Thanks again for your comments.

My CGEM has a "home position" that I think I can set so that it goes horizontal.  My concern is that, first day in my new observatory I will slew to some object low in the sky and find myself gazing at a pine shed wall!!!

As I think I said, I usually have my tripod set at full height, but this gives no opportunity for sitting down.  I hope to be able to find a height where I can sit down (at least some of the time).  I'll do some more experimenting by setting my tripod up at different heights.  I was hoping that someone might have already done that experimenting for me.

Thanks again for your comments.

Put a photo of your set up in I can not see it any were , give me something to think about.

you could always buy/make a tall stool to sit on  :smiley:

If its any use my pier height is 51", with my c8 on I use a normal bar stool with gas lift and most of the time I can sit to observe or stand and be comfortable. I can see down to 18° as well which is enough for me . like you I did a wall set up with sheets and rope etc to decide on a height before I made the pier.

We have touched on the relationship between wall height & pier height earlier in the thread.  The next thing to consider is your close up light pollution.

Drop down sides will be not be a help if they only let in light from your close by LP.  I have had to make wall extension boards to cut out light from 2 street lamps on the North side in an adjacent street.

The boards cut out the light from street lamps and a couple of neighbour's security lights.

street light boards

One of my experiments during my obsy plans was to stretch a piece of washing line between 2 tall posts and hang a tarpaulin from it and see how much of the neighbour's security lights it cut out.  I then set up my telescope behind it to assess how much of the low down sky I could see with the sheet in place.  I came to the conclusion that I didn't need drop down sides on my obsy, in any case most targets can be seen higher up in the sky anyway, (cloud and time permitting). 

The other problem is that the ROR roof runners will be on the drop down sides.  For me the runners are better supported if the obsy walls are one piece.

This and other details are dictated by the obsy site, your height, obsy wall height and pier height, and also the telescope equipment being used so just about everyone's obsy will be different and tailored to it's site and user.  

I use a tall stool when using the refractor and a small step when using the reflector, to get to the eyepiece.

Cheers,

Fondofchips.

• Like 1

I bought a pier of these guys and found them to be spot on. Really nice people to deal with. Jaspal Chadha has one of their obsys....maybe drop him a line?

Yup very happy with it. I can't fault it having it over a year now and it still built as a tank

The team listen to you and your needs without the extra hidden costs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by jaspalchadha
  • Like 2

How's the process going Gnomus? Your thread has been really helpful to me as we are 4-5 weeks away from owning our first home and you've addressed concerns that I haven't even thought of yet.

Dan

Thanks for the interest. The process is going quite well. I will post an update soon. I went a bit quiet for a while because I have been quite ill for a few weeks.

Hope you're feeling better now Gnomus :)  Get well soon :)

Edited by Gina
  • Like 1

Hi Steve (Gnoums) hope you are feeling a bit better mate?

Loads better thank you - but I have had to start from a very low base.