Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Keeping warm - more tops tips please!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A good Down jacket - proper down, not synthetic - is the best piece of astro kit going. One with a hood is best.

I'd also +1 the light-fluid powered hand warmers. I've got a Zippo one. It's weird putting fuel into your pocket like that, but they work...

It has been ridiculously cold in the north east U.S. wind chills down to -40F at times. I'm a fair weather beginner and can't wait to get out with my scope. Does extreme cold cause any damage to your equipment (I'm talking about the scope :laugh: ) Do you have to take any special precautions to protect it? Will it cause you to have to collimate more frequently?

reflectors are pretty tough, but be careful with refractors, espc when you bring the frac inside....

Specifically for your hands, I use fingerless, thinsulate-lined gloves down to about -10*C. Below that I use some like 71NRhWQLGDL._SL1000_.jpg- to do fine stuff, I "peek" my forefinger-tip out from under the mitt, and thumb-tip through the split thumb. Got them in Canada and used them down to -30*C-ish.

Solid boots help f your standing. I have some Berghaus ones and they werent cheap but worth every penny.

Normally I run to multiple layers so I have leggings on underneath some combat baggies, up top a chemise, thin wool jumper, fleece and over that lot either a windproof jacket or a padded and quilted combat jacket, my head has a Russian ushanka type furry hat. I have fingerless gloves inside a pair of thermal gloves so if I need fine fingers I can still keep most of my hand warm. On my feet a thin pair of socks, under some heavy wool socks and my clompy Berghaus boots.

And I still get cold occasionally....

Huh! That doesn't look anything like it did in Tapatalk! :huh:

Here's my full kit-list:

Head: Beanie down to freezing-ish. Polartec "earflap" hat below that. Plus silk balaclava and jacket hood when it gets cold.

Neck: Buff

Torso:
Down to  about -5*C: Tee-shirt, insulated overshirt, Nepalese polartec-lined wool jacket (hooded)
Down to about -15*C: As above, with polypropylene long-sleeved vest instead of tee-shirt
Below -15*C: As above, with polartec 375gsm jumper instead of overshirt.

Hands:
attachicon.gifgloves.jpg
Top: Acrylic and Thinsulate -- toasty to about -5*C, useful to about -10*C, and can drive with them.
Bottom: Rag wool and 40g Thinsulate -- I've worn them down to -35*C; toasty-warm down to -20 -- can't drive with them; the wool slips on the steering wheel.

Legs:
Down to  about -5*C: Lined Craghopper Kiwis
Down to about -15*C: As above, plus polypropylene longjohns
Below -15*C: As above plus polartec fleece trousers

Feet:
Down to about -5*C: Lightweight walking boots or rigger boots with thick socks
Down to about -15*C: Hunter Derwents (sheepskin lined)
Below -15*C: Kamik Greenbays. Got them cheap at a sale in Canada. Supposedly good down to -40C, but I've only tried them down to -35 -- nice!

A good Down jacket - proper down, not synthetic - is the best piece of astro kit going. One with a hood is best.

I'd also +1 the light-fluid powered hand warmers. I've got a Zippo one. It's weird putting fuel into your pocket like that, but they work...

I treated myself to one last weekend - with a nice down filled hood as well should have done it years ago....

Peter...

I suffer with Raynauds syndrome; my hands suffer really badly......I bought these coupled with a small 12v battery sited under the mount: they have enough lead for me to move around quite freely. The garden is generally very boggy; I wear neoprene lined wellington boots and thick socks.

• 190909728152_2.jpg

They are quite expensive but well worth it.  :smiley:

These are the best investment I have made to keep warm. Expensive but worth the money IMHO

Feet ... good thick soled gore tex-boots with thermal insole and decent socks ... don't lace them too tightly ...let the nice warm blood actually make it to your toes (and the cooled blood escape back up past your ankles!

I used to wear many thick layers ... often ending up like Michelin man .. .warm but virtually unable to bend and weighed down by the equivalent of several sheep ! Buying a good quality down jacket similar to this one has been a revelation. I seldom need more than four layers now and have easy movement without being weighed down by all that wool.

I always weigh a neck gaitor on cold nights and now that Ive reached that state of baldness I have to shave my head to avoid the dreaded comb over :grin: , I wear two or even three hats!

I'm lucky that I don't seem to get cold hands but the down jacket pockets are certainly convenient and snug when my fingers do get nipped !

There are three of us who regularly observe together. Often we observe from my observatory which has a wooden floor covered in black rubber interlocking exercise mats that are brilliant insulators. The walls of the observatory are also covered with the same black matting but that's to aid with dark adaption. The observatory isn't far from the house, so if we get cold we venture inside for half an hour or so to warm up. Even so, we still each wear a significant amount of warm clothing topped with a full piece wind proof body suit - this makes us appear a little like geriatric telly tubby's. The observatory acts as a wind break as well as a light shield but that doesn't stop the cold eventually getting to us.

Hot drinks are the key to warming you from the core. We tend to take a flask of OXO with us when out on our moorland excursions. The only drawback being that it makes your nose run, continually replenishing your cup. Its like a never ending salty drink, but its warm so we don't care. OXO is also a great werewolf deterrent. If you throw it they'll go after that instead of you. (Keep close to the roads, stay off the moors!)

Back at home my wife, who is also mildly insane, has on numerous occasions called us in around 2 or 3am to stuff us full of her freshly baked apple pie topped with ice cream. Hot home made apple pie is a beautiful thing when you're frozen to the bone!

Wives are also a great way to get your body temperature back into the land of the living. After a nights observing I slide into bed like a rather milky looking ice pop, place my frozen thighs and knees on the back of hers, and all she ever says is "Have you had a good night playing?" Never one word of complaint. Its brilliant!

Never be tempted to drink alcohol, its a killer in the cold!

Mike

I'm naturally gifted with a layer of blubber (im not fat...........im big boned). In any weather i absolutely hate wearing layers. I'll wear one layer on my torso (a long sleeve top) and maybe gloves and a hat. -5C to me is no big deal while dressed like this. I have observed in -11C a couple of times dressed in my usual attire and that was just stupid.

Only just below freezing last night - but pleased I had my huntsman's gloves - fingerless, with stitched on finger cover. Best bit is the slit in the thumb, allowing proper control/dexterity. Thinsulate lined. They're made by Country Innovations - most RSPB reserves in the UK seem to stock them. With apologies to all Vegans (my sister is one) - proper fur hat makes all the difference. Rabbit fur trapper hat made by Stetson - warmest hat I've ever had. Warm as toast in a Rab down jacket.

Feet were a bit of an issue - had wool socks on, but next time I'm taking my US snow boots - thinsulate lining should counteract chilly toes!

I dont really "overdress" for observing, just chuck my coat on but its my fingers that get cold, dont like gloves as i dont like dropping eyeppieces, so need to work on keeping the hands warmer, i dropped my 18mm BGO the other week due to frozen fingers, just a small dint in the housing

Nightfisher - like you my hands really suffer in the cold.  The key though to handling stuff in the dark is take your time.  I used to do a lot of home developing years ago and the old maxim that more haste makes less speed is very true.  Trying to rush it leads to mistakes and a lap full of developer or fix :)  Out in the dark with a scope a rush can lead to expensive glass being reduced to its molecular form.

I tend to operate as if I am on the ISS - slowly and with care at all times.  Theres no rush out there its not like I have my boss looking over my shoulder with a stop watch :)

Look at the posts from our colonial cousins make me appreciate a cold winters night in the UK though - it might be nippy but at least we don't get frost burns from our hardware.

A lot of the time people forget that it is the trapped air that maintains the warmth, A good heavy coat just is not right. I got a down jacket one size bigger then normal for me so no compression. Works a treat. Also the pockets in the one I use have a stitched-in insert on the front face that manages to do as it says. Maybe ask if anyone could add a front and back to the pockets that are thermal - at least then you just stuff hands in pockets to warm them up.

Bought an army softie suit (trousers and jacket) last year, I think I bought medium size, which absolutely swamps me. I tend to pile on layers underneath, a couple of thick jumpers, etc.

We also forget how excellent an insulating product wool is, so any jumpers that are going to actually keep you warm should have at least 20% wool...

http://www.armynnavy.com/catalog/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/8060

http://www.armynnavy.com/catalog/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/8061

Hand warmers are a must, if the circulation isn't up to it. Haven't yet found any footwear yet that keeps the old tootsies warm, so nearly there...but I am usually the last one to cave in from the cold, so the Softie suit works.... :D

I used to use when working outside heated insoles, heated waistcoat and heated glove inners. all the bits that freeze are covered. I will have to get some new ones if spending a long time out, which I haven't as yet due too......

Archived