sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Accolade for the 200p.

Anyone sitting on the fence deciding on a 200p Dob should thoroughly enjoy this review,

http://neilenglish.net/test-diving-the-sywatcher-skyliner200p/

No need to get sucked into the world of giant aperture. 8" is a very capable all rounder at a great starting price,

Nick.

Absolutely right Nick, the linked report is excellent too. I would like to try one of these telescopes as I think that they would give great views, the mirrors are supposed to be very good. Thanks for posting this Nick! :smiley:

• Like 1

Nice link, Nick. It's great to see that a scope within the reach of almost any amatuer is also of such outstanding capability. Of course, SGL knew that already :smiley: which I guess is the main reason why we generally suggest that newcomers ought to go for that cracking 8" dob from Skywatcher :grin:.

Also interesting to see Neil's little review of the TV planetary filter. I'm not one to complain, but I find the glare around Jupiter a little off-putting in the 10" and sometimes prefer the dimmer, less detailed but tidier image in the smaller 3" or 4" fracs.  If the TV filter "diminishes the glare around the planet...and brings out all kinds of reds, oranges, yellows and whites within its enormous atmosphere", then it certainly would be a "truly magnificent" filter.

• Like 2

Good reporting from Neil on the 200P :smiley:

I like the way he adds to his reports each time he uses the scope so the picture builds as his experiences do.

Having owned a 200P dobsonian a few years back (as I mention to Neil in that blog) I'm not surprised by his findings. I've often thought of picking up another one since :smiley:

Interestingly I owned one of the Revelation / GSO 8" F/6 dobs the year before I got the 200P but was rather underwhelmed by it plus the mirror coatings were starting to decay rather rapidly :shocked:

Good to see Neil broadening his type of telescope appreciation.  :smiley:

Yes indeed. He has recently also been very impressed by the Skywatcher 180mm maksutov-cassegrain. I believe it has surpassed the performance of even his beloved Istar 5" F/12 anastigmat.

• Like 1

Very nice report of the Skyliner telescope. I enjoyed reading it.

He did make one very minor mistake. The Skyliner is sold as the Orion Skyline 8" not the XT8. The Skyline 8" has the Crayford focuser whereas the XT8 does not. There are a few other items of difference, making the Skyline a "deluxe" XT8.

I was very interested in his (or other's) report because I have the Orion Skyline 8". I haven't used it yet. Poor weather arrives with every new telescope, I'm told.

Yes, the 200p is a good scope. Mine seems to get more use than the fancy GoTo, tracking thing I bought a year or two ago. With a Dob. there's no set-up, carry it out of the garage and you can be gazing through it in less than a minute. No power, no cabling, no alignment, no faffing around and as much photon capturing as I can manage. Bigger, I am sure would be better, but this 200, is on the limit of what I can pick-up and carry safely. Next best thing to a permanent set-up.

I love mine,

Richard.

Very nice report of the Skyliner telescope. I enjoyed reading it.

He did make one very minor mistake. The Skyliner is sold as the Orion Skyline 8" not the XT8. The Skyline 8" has the Crayford focuser whereas the XT8 does not. There are a few other items of difference, making the Skyline a "deluxe" XT8.

I was very interested in his (or other's) report because I have the Orion Skyline 8". I haven't used it yet. Poor weather arrives with every new telescope, I'm told.

The Orion Skyline 8 is a newish model for Orion and I believe it is made by GSO rather than by Synta who make the Skywatcher Skyliner 200P and made the Orion XT8's.

• Like 1