Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Timings of the eclipse

ian61

I have a few pupils interested in astronomy and we are really just starting out so the eclipse, being in daytime seems a good target for us.  Very aware of the dangers of looking at the sun I must be far more careful than adult individuals - I have just been reading the strand started by a lucky chap (member Sub Dwarf) going to the Faroes and taking his binoculars.  I was thinking of using a webcam and similar to capture projected images.  We have been using cartes du Ciel and stellarium to look into the future - both seem to suggest that for Somerset the timing of greatest coverage will be about 9.30am which seems to be close to an eclipse calculator I have just found online that says 9.28 - so am I to conclude that these programs are pretty much spot on accurate to time such events? A subsidiary question, if I may - is this same for the Gallilean moons as seen on stellarium?

Ian61

Wow, thanks Protostar the 'Sky and tel' link seems very good, I have copied to my favourites bar to go and explore a bit more later.  And also thanks to I am a Dob Convert that is the site I had found earlier but appreciate your help.

Ian61

Archived