Hello From Hertfordshire

Briosh

Hi there.im fairly new to the world of star gazing.I have in my possesion a 8" dobsobian star-watcher.which im very happy with.i was wondering if i could get some advice on what colour filters i should have in my collection.thanks..

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Moon filter but being an ND that is sort of no colour.

After that I would not bother, filters you may consider now or in the future are the OIII and UHC (???) for nebulas and some improve the viewing of those.

Not sure where the idea of using a coloured filter came from, maybe because RGB ones are used for RGB imaging but they are somewhat different to the visual items. If one manufacturer supplied a few coloured filters to look good you will find all the others follow. Lets face it which sounds best: Eyepiece kit of 4 eyepieces, or, Eyepiece kit of 4 eyepieces and 4 coloured filters ? Even if the coloured filters are no use and could make things worse ?

P.S. Which bit of Hertfordshire ???

Moon filter but being an ND that is sort of no colour.

After that I would not bother, filters you may consider now or in the future are the OIII and UHC (???) for nebulas and some improve the viewing of those.

Not sure where the idea of using a coloured filter came from, maybe because RGB ones are used for RGB imaging but they are somewhat different to the visual items. If one manufacturer supplied a few coloured filters to look good you will find all the others follow. Lets face it which sounds best: Eyepiece kit of 4 eyepieces, or, Eyepiece kit of 4 eyepieces and 4 coloured filters ? Even if the coloured filters are no use and could make things worse ?

P.S. Which bit of Hertfordshire ???

Filters can help bring out detail on planetary targets.   I find a green filter of use for bringing out more on Jupite at times, as it darkens the red/brown banding...

Archived